Friday 5 February 2016

"The Creature Impassively Raised One Huge Foot Up And Stamped Down Hard Onto The Fisherman's Head..."

"The red mist that flooded the creature's vision dissipated, along with the murderous rage." 
This formidably large 28mm metal miniature of the “Guild Ball” Union centre back Fangtooth is made by “Steamforged Games Limited”. The model comes as a single cast and standing at 40mm in height is actually as wide as he is tall.

As the Ethraynnian’s main ‘kit colour’ was going to be red, I undercoated the entire bloated sculpt with “Vallejo” Heavy Red before picking out his numerous lengthy chains with “Citadel” Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. I then applied a coat of “Vallejo” Heavy Skintone to the monster’s quite considerable areas of flesh and then washed them with "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade.

Because one of the player's character traits is Foul Odor, a three inch aura which causes open-ground to be treated as rough-ground, I started to additionally apply a wash of Carroburg Crimson and Thrakka Green to Fangtooth's blubbery hide. But found the results rather disappointing when dry, so rather frustratingly ended up re-painting and washing the "impossibly huge bulk" "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone a second time.
"A mismatched bunch o'mercenaries, scum and criminals for the most part."
The beast's numerous plasters were painted using a combination of "Vallejo" White and “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade. Whilst his wooden face mask was treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna. Finally this piece of head-wear, along with his trousers was washed with some more Strong Tone Quickshade.

Having finished this "large expanse of pasty, blotchy pink flesh" I now finally have enough painted "Guild Ball" miniatures to field a Union Captain (Blackheart) along with a Team of two (Rage and Fangtooth). Such a small side is ideal for a few introductory games over a two foot square pitch. All I now need do is find them some opposition...

In addition to completing the human centre back, I have also been busily working on some more "North Star Military Figures" for "Frostgrave". Like Fangtooth, I have actually been pottering away on my warband's Barbarian since before the start of this year's Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. But the 'Cimmerian' is now almost finished as I simply have to wash and dry-brush his double-handed sword, and ink the warrior's thick bearskin cloak.
"Frostgrave" WIPs - The Ice Toad and Stone Construct will soon enter the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge
There is also little more to do on my model of an Ice Toad, for having recently finished washing him with "Vallejo" Pale Grey and picked out his pointed teeth with “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade, I now need only finish painting the boulder upon which the foul creature squats and dab some "Vallejo" White over his skin.

Lastly I have been dry-brushing and washing the fantasy wargame's rather uninspiringly diminutive model of a Stone Construct. Admittedly the miniature does require a 40mm circular base on account of it's girth. But I was rather hoping for "North Star Military Figures" to produce a model which towers over its opposition, rather than squats low upon its knuckles.

20 comments:

  1. "The creature impassively raised one huge foot up and stamped down hard on... three little ducklings crossing his path!"
    Sorry, Simon! He is one mighty impressive beast and I'm so glad you have finally finished painting him. I can think of a number of potential uses for him - Zombicide Fatty, Post Apocalypse Mad Max style gang member, bodyguard, enforcer, pit cage fighter or even as a super-villain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan :-) Fangtooth is indeed a beast - and one of a kind as any plans I once had to buy a few of him and use them as a group of "Zombicide" Fatties was cast aside long ago - when I realised just how time-consuming a mini he would be to paint. I've little doubt though that he'll turn up in some tabletop battles other than "Guild Ball"... as will the ducklings ;-)

      Delete
  2. I bet you're glad he's finally finished. I too have been having paint issues - what you think will work on a figure doesn't, resulting in repainting and starting again. However, a productive few days this week should see me posting tomorrow, which is also my first anniversary! Yay! And boy, do I have something rather special to show off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad cheers Jez. Good to hear you've had a productive week.

      Delete
  3. What a behemoth! I've had some recent painting skin tones issues myself, luckily you rescued it. You'll see in a few posts which one I'm talking about.

    Love that ice toad, what a cool model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. Luckily the figure only required a little re-painting and washing. nothing too drastic. The Ice Toad is now finished, and should be ready for posting at some point next week :-)

      Delete
  4. What a beastie! I often find such big miniatures to be quite intimidating to start, but so rewarding when they are do - bravo Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. I'm really glad he's finished as he's been sat eyeing me for months and months. I can;t believe when I first started painting him I thought he'd be a simple paint-job.

      Delete
  5. The team looks ace. Great stuff. I do like seeing the GB stuff on various blogs (not a player, but I like the aesthetics). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PulpCitizen. A small team but a playable one nonetheless. Once I've painted another two players though I'll have enough for a "Quick Game".

      Delete
  6. That is one impressive figure Simon, (shame he doesn't qualify for a best of 2016, as you started him last year), He reminds me of Jason form the Friday the 13th film, but he needs a big knife.

    Liking the Ice toad too, really creepy (but I'm terrified of frogs in real life so that might be it!). I like that stone golem too, he looks a lot bigger in the photo's than you describe. Shame it's a nice model.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Much appreciated. I'm not sure Fangtooth can be ruled out quite so easily as I painted almost all of my Jenna Stannis in 2014 and that didn't stop you giving her 8th place last year ;-) As long as they're finished in 2016 they count in my books :-)

      Glad you're enjoying the "Frostgrave" stuff. The Ice Toad and Stone Construct are now both finished and just being varnished etc; as is the Barbarian. I've a Demon and Templar on the go currently, so expect plenty more to come over the next few weeks.

      Delete
    2. Yes your right about "Jenna", he might make the cut then... but there is a long way to go, and the way your churning stuff out at the moment it's going to be a big job this year.

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. A very long way to go Roger. I managed to get 38 minis last month, and hopefully a similar number for this one too. I certainly would like to give you a couple of hundred to choose from as I know you love it!! :-P

      Delete
  7. Great figure and I love the ice toad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. The Ice Toad is cool isn't he ;-)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Indeed he is Hugh. But he's also finished :-)

      Delete
  9. Simon that lardarse is an imposing lump. I like that his facial features are all dark and menacing, forcing one to have to step in to work out his details. By which time, it's too late...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dai. He is indeed an intimidating beast. If you ever get to look at the "Guild Ball" rulebook I heartily recommend reading the short story based upon him as its a scary piece of prose and captures the raw power of this brute tremendously well. Imho...

      Delete