Monday 7 May 2018

"The First Kill Is The Greatest."

"That first arc of hot blood through the air."
This 28mm scale "push-fit, red plastic" miniature of Blooded Saek forms part of the "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire" starter set produced by "Games Workshop", and can also be used to represent a "warrior of a murderous band of Khorne-worshippers, called Garrek's Reavers" in the Nottingham-based company's "Age Of Sigmar" tabletop wargame as well. Having "lost himself entirely to the red rage of Khorne" and therefore "only able to speak bestial growls and blood-chilling screams", this warrior "is an essential fighter" for the Blood Reavers warband, whose "great axe excels at killing fighters".

Primarily undercoated with "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone to help mask the model's vivid red plastic, the deadly juggernaut's trousers were painted with "Vallejo" Black, whilst his leg armour and belly plate, were both treated to a combination of Heavy Sienna, Brass and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade. In addition, Saek's chains and double-axe blades were given a layer of "Citadel" Ironbreaker, before being shaded with Nuln Oil.
Garrek's Reavers WIPs - The final two warriors of the warband
The mortal fighter's belt, numerous straps, and wrist-guard were 'picked out' with some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and Strong Tone Quickshade. Plus his loincloth and cloth pouch were given a double-coat of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and subsequently a healthy splash of "Citadel" Nuln Oil. The berserker's dark skin was created using Doombull Brown, a thin-line of "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone across his many scars, and an application of "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade over all these areas.

The miniature's skull mask was originally given a coat of "Vallejo" Dead White, before being washed with Pale Grey. It was then 'bloodied' using a combination of "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson and the glaze Bloodletter. Finally, in order to ensure themodel fitted in with my Chaos Host for "Age Of Sigmar", I painted its highly-detailed base with "Citadel" Doombull Brown, Rakarth Flesh and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. I also highlighted a tiny tentacle rising from out of the ground using a dab of "Vallejo" Heavy Khaki and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green.
Foamasi WIPs - The alien has been primed, shaded and dry-brushed
Having recently attended the Portsmouth Comic-Con at the city's Guildhall recently, I was rather pleased to spend a few minutes chatting to the truly generous David Bulbeck. The actor "appeared in several Doctor Who episodes" in the Early Eighties, including "The Leisure Hive" in which he played one of my favourite Tom Baker monsters, a Foamasi.

As a result I have located my "Black Tree Design" model of the 'stocky, reptilian humanoid', and rather enthusiastically based, primed, shaded and dry-brushed the figure already using "Vallejo" Heavy Green and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green. I now simply need to paint the alien's three clawed hands and red eyes for the radiation resistant extra-terrestrial to be finished....

14 comments:

  1. Awesome job. I do lile the Shadespire sets they make a good introduction into the main AoS game as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Simon. I love the "Shadespire" minis and the fact they can be used for "Age of Sigmar" is a superb bonus.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing miniature Simon, superb job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Very much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  3. Great work on Saek Simon, A tip for doing dark skin is to add a light highlight as their skin is very reflective, I tend to use mournfang brown or XV-88for lighter skin. great start on the other two reavers and the foamasi, must have been great to meet the the person behind the mask

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. The dark skin was a bit of a last minute decision but came out rather well I thought. David Bulbeck was a tip-top bloke, signed my picture of him as a Foamasi and gave me a smaller picture as a postcard. Plus chatted about his time on the show and how he had to be sown into the costume.

      Delete
  4. Curls for the dark skin on Saek. I am never happy painting light skin and paint manufacturers have lots of paints specifically for that. I wish there were more products for darker skin so mortals like me could paint more models like yours. Great paint job sir, it looks great! I can't wait to see all of the Readers done. The Foamasi (is that what the costume is made out of?!) looks terrific! I can't wait to see what you do to bring him to life. Tron funkopops! Your imagination never ceases to amaze me! Can't wait. Great read old boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "**curls** should be Cudos! This autocorrect is a nightmare!!!" - Cheers Undercoat. The Reavers are progressing well, and I'm hoping the Foamasi will be finished soon; albeit I won't be mimicking the original monster's metallic green cloth jump-suit :-)

      I'm hoping to start a run of "Funko-Pop! Heroclix" Friday mash-ups over the next month or so, and get a fair few of my collection on the tabletop as the MCP desperately attempts to conquer the universe ;-)

      Delete
  5. The Reavers are lookinggood, oversized weapons included and the bug-man "Foamasis" (whom I've never heard of - of course) I'll be looking forward to seeing completed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. The remaining Reavers and Foamasi should be finished soon, so I can crack on with my "Burrows & Beavers".

      Delete
  6. Great work all round Simon, the Foamasi were one of my favourites too.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. Thought you'd enjoy a Tom Baker baddie for a change :-)

      Delete
  7. I have the Shadespire set to paint up myself. (A kind gift at Xmas) Your versions are quiet inspiring. For when I get to them. Which is... Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. My "Shadespire" Khorne warband been sat around idly gathering dust for too long, hence my push to get them finished this month.

      Delete