Sunday 5 November 2017

"We Know That England Is Crying For A Leader..."

"...And that leader has emerged in the person of the greatest Englishman that I have ever known..."
This 28mm metal miniature of Sir Oswald Moseley can be purchased, along with two bodyguards, as Code 403012203 from the "Warlord Games" German Army range, and represents the BUF leader at a time when "Adolf Hitler apparently had plans" for him should Great Britain fall. Described as being "dangerously charismatic", the Anglo-Irish aristocrat appears as a (veteran) Imperial Commander in the "Bolt Action" book "Campaign: Sea Lion", and is the first of my four weekly submissions for this year’s Mo’Vember Challenge.

Primed with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, the Sixth Baronet of Ancoats was roughly highlighted with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and later washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Moseley's trousers were painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Dark Grey" and (more) "Citadel" Nuln Oil, whilst his arm-band was treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
Garrek WIPs - Gorebeard just needs his axe to be shaded and 'ponytail' painted before being finished
Sadly I did subsequently somewhat struggle to 'pick out' the British Union of Fascists emblem on the one-time Conservative politician's sleeve, and having never seen a decal with such an insignia, eventually decided to 'flub' the issue by simply giving it a coat of "Vallejo" Dead White and then shading it with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Admittedly, this 'botch-job' doesn't look anywhere near as impressive as the delicately-lined symbol clearly visible on the advertised "Warlord Games" official figure, but it did help me keep my sanity...

Having finished such a relatively enjoyable and straightforward paint-job, despite the contentious background of the character in question, I have made some significant progress on another of my Mo'Vember Challenge pieces, Garrek Gorebeard. This "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire" plastic model really is proving to be a patience tester, on account of all his fiddly chains, armour, belts and less-than-helpful pose.
"Rumbleslam" WIPs - Waaarrrior, an Orc and Ronnie Salvage still need plenty of work
Fortunately, the surprise arrival of the "Rumbleslam" superstar, Waaarrrior, from my regular miniatures store "Dark Sphere" has not only given me something a little easier to paint, but also motivated me to actually finish off both the Orc Brawler and Grappler from the "TTCombat" product's starter box. Indeed, the sports game's "fan favourite", clearly influenced by the late James Brian Hellwig, has already got me thinking about re-enacting the Ultimate Warrior's pay-per-view main event match with "Macho Man" Randy Savage at Summerslam 1992, where the duo fought for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship.

I have still have a bit of work to do on my sculpt of the dwarf, Ronnie Salvage, yet hope over time to build up quite the stable of "Rumbleslam" figures who are based upon World Wrestling Federation, and World Championship Wrestling characters. Certainly "TTCombat" don't appear to be too shy in matching a plethora of superstars' likenesses to their miniatures, and that hopefully means in the future that I'll be able to re-play a number of my favourite bouts from the late Eighties and early Nineties...

42 comments:

  1. Great job on Moseley Simon, always a fascinating character in any 'what if' scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Moseley was great fun to paint, and certainly has me thinking about fielding a "What If?" BUF army for "Bolt Action".

      Delete
    2. What if? As in fantasy ... go figure!

      Delete
    3. I'm sure you'll agree its a step in the right direction though, Dave ;-)

      Delete
  2. fab, love Moseley (not in the real world obviously)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. I know precisely what you mean.

      Delete
  3. Funnily enough, my son has just finished reading "The Leader" by Guy Walters, which is an alternative history novel in which Moseley takes over as Prime Minister when Edward VIII refuses to abdicate, so he was on my mind. Nice work, even if the 'flash and circle' gave you a bit of a headache.

    And Rumbleslam is getting a bit of exposure at present, so it will be good to see some of the figures painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Id be interested in reading that book Jez. Ideal for my
      WG Operation Sealion.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jez. Tbh I'm a bit tempted by "VBCW" presently, so a BUF force for "Bolt Action" or even "Konflikt '47" appeals enormously. I'm not too sure how many "Rumbleslam" minis I'll be putting together tbh, but as you say, momentum for the sports game certainly seems to be running high currently.

      Delete
    3. And a big thanks to you Steve for sending me the second edition of "Bolt Action"; much appreciated if I haven't said so before :-)

      Delete
    4. no worries, its a pleasure Simon. I personally love and will stick to my 1st ed Bolt Action rules (which work fine with any of the army books.. either rules edition does, in fact many of the army books have not even been altered for the 2nd ed rules edition). I dunno, something about that first book I find appealing, even though it has a few minor rule imbalances. But sure yeah, made sense I let you have my spare copy as I wouldn't be using it myself :-)

      Delete
    5. {{Tbh I'm a bit tempted by "VBCW" presently}}

      Its been pulling at me for a long time as well. But end of the day I will probably stick to my home front, home guard, early war "What if" games I think, much easier to handle *grins*

      Delete
    6. Yep, I think sticking to "What If?" games using "Bolt Action" is a great way of scratching the itch, Steve, and is certainly what I was thinking; albeit I'm more inclined to go "Konflikt '47"; British Tommy robots supressing a Facist revolt!

      Delete
    7. Ooooh, sunds fun, I`m in :)

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy the diversity of your blog posts. VBCW next to warhammer. What is not to like. I can almost guarantee if one thing in your posts is not my cup a tea there will be something that is right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. That's much appreciated. I do desperately try and cover three different genres per posting if I can, just to capture that mix. As you say though, "VBCW next to warhammer. What is not to like?" :-)

      Delete
  5. Mosely turned out well in miniature form there Blaxkleric. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. I'm rather pleased with him - and just hope he doesn't become the beginning of another project!!

      Delete
  6. Great work on Mosely Simon, with the Garrek model you seem to end up with a lot of models that test your perseverance ( Thinking your Boromites)
    The rumbleslam models look a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I ended up painting Moseley alongside Garrek simply to help me get through all the detail on the "GW" Bloodreaver. I'm hoping now Gorebeard is finished that the rest of the "Shadespire" minis aren't quite so overwhelming.

      "Rumbleslam" certainly seems popular presently, but I'm desperately trying to keep my collection down to just the old "WWF" stars of my youth. Time will inevitably tell though ;-)

      Delete
  7. The figures of Moseley and Garrek do nothing for me, but your "Rumbleslam" figures greatly intrigue me, especially as I don't have Ronnie Salvage or Waaarrrior just yet. I'm very much looking forward to seeing all three finished and hopefully in action as well. RUMBLESLAM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I think once I've got Salvage and one of the orcs done I might do a simple BatRep bout, and then see where that takes me. I do own a few of the minis though ("WWF" influenced), so I'd like to build up a stable and perhaps do a "King Of The Ring" type event over a few months or something..?

      Delete
  8. Yep, I crumbled and bought Rumbleslam. Though I went the other way with the Greenskins ... Hulkamania! Sorry, Gun (if we're being correct). Not that I was particularly a fan of Hulk Hogan, but the over the top nature of the character appealed to me.

    I fancy getting the 'Triple D' figure and painting it up as the current Impact Wrestling character Rosemary. Some't to do over the winter, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great buy, Roy!! I don't think you'll regret it. Are you going "WWF" or "NWO" Hulk... Gun? Its a corking mini imho. I don't follow "Impact Wrestling" much anymore, but Rosemary looks like having a great zed-like paint scheme.

      Delete
    2. I might just be different and paint him up as Hollywood Hogan.

      I'll have to have a good old think about it, and colour coordinate the Greenskin stable of fighters to be wearing complementing outfits.

      Hmm. Some't to think on, that.

      Delete
    3. Big fan of "WCW" during the "NWO" storylines. Great times for wrestling, imho, at a time when "WWF" seemed about to die as all the big names moved across to Eric Bischoff's stables.

      Delete
  9. Another eclectic mix for the "first of Movember" Simon :-)
    Great brushwork as ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. One down, three to go, and I'm hoping they all turn our to be as much fun to paint as Moseley.

      Delete
  10. I always love the mix of genre in your posts Simon. Your Miniatures collection must be enormous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. I do have a wee problem housing some of my painted minis. But its nowhere near as bad as that providing a home to my unpainted horde!! ;-)

      Delete
  11. Another eclectic mix. I'm very pleased with the khorne figure, looks the part. Bryan over on Vampifans blog is also doing Rumbleslam. Do you have the troll figure as I like the sculpt and I was wondering if the base size is 40mm and would fit in with Bloodbowl sizing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Garrek is great imho, just a bit over-detailed. I do own the troll figure and have placed him upon a 50mm circular "GW" base - he's a big lad!!

      Delete
  12. Kinda cool , in a slightly disturbing way .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Perhaps we could go with 'kinda historical, in a slightly disturbing way" ;-)

      Delete
  13. Great stuff! Very intrigued by the Operation Sea Lion book possibilities :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor. I've a few Operation Sea Lion/VBCW minis on the table currently, and will be plonking them in the painting queue over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  14. Great figure of Moselely, whom I remember my parents talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work on Moseley, here's me thinking you were going to start VBCW! The Shadespire figure is coming along nicely. Must admit the Ronnie Salvage figure reminds me of Captain Caveman ... with slightly less hair!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed, Mark. "VBCW" is certainly a tempting prospect currently, and worryingly I still have a couple of minis within Moseley's area of influence which could well start a "VBCW" project.

      The first of my "Shadespire" minis is now thankfully finished, and just being flocked, and as for Ronnie Salvage - that's a great call on Captain Caveman!! :-)

      Delete
  16. The traitor Moseley looks great mate. I'd also hesitate to try and paint his armband detail - it looks a right pain.

    (I want to see some fantasy versions of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I'm hoping Oswald doesn't lead to a huge "VBCW" project ;-) I'm sure some of the best British wrestlers will be featured in "Rumbleslam" at some point.

      Delete