Tuesday 14 November 2017

"Souls Wrenched From The Dead."

"Repeating directions to here, to this spot, over and over."
This "finely-sculpted" 38mm scale "pewter" miniature of a 'black armoured Rhinoceroid biped' is produced by “Warlord Games” and can be found inside the Nottingham-based company's "officially approved" Judoon boxed set. However, unlike the three figures sold as part of the "Doctor Who: Into The Time Vortex" range, this particular model has been significantly converted so as to turn it into one of the two "Incorporeal" ghosts which should accompany the Fisher King on the "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" tabletop.

These deadly grotesques were a highlight of the 2017 televised story "Under the Lake", and having figured that the "outer space" mercenaries would be obvious opponents of the planet Tivoli's towering conqueror, I've subsequently decided to re-purpose one of the Shadow Proclamation enforcers as an early (undead) victim of the Fisher King. However, because the spectres can only seemingly kill their prey using physical weapons on the science fiction programme I decided to replace its right arm with another carrying a quarry scanner, and swapped its incineration blaster for a plastic "Frostgrave" hand-axe.
Judoon WIPs - The alien mercenaries have been assembled, converted, primed and dry-brushed
As one can probably imagine, both of these alterations required a fair amount of drilling and pinning; especially the hand-weapon by "North Star Military Figures", which frustratingly broke in half at one point courtesy of a 'slight' fall. In addition, the intergalactic policeman's eyes were both hollowed out in order to help create the impression of the visual organs atrophying and sinking away inside his head...

Once all this conversion work was finished I set about re-priming the miniature with "Vallejo" White and washed it with Pale Grey. The corporeal Judoon was then shaded with some "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade, a little Biel-Tan Green and lastly dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" White. To finish the model, I 'picked out' its axe's handle using a combination of Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, and painted its blade using some "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
Ronnie Salvage WIPs - The dwarf wrestling superstar is getting closer to completion
With a second Judoon ghost eagerly being prepared and the "Doctor Who News" website currently running my review of "Warlord Games" "mercenary intergalactic police force", my enthusiasm for Russell T Davies' "Rhinoceros-headed humanoids" is (hopefully) understandably at an all time high. Perhaps unsurprisingly therefore, I have also assembled, converted, primed and dry-brushed four further Judoon models; with the aspiration to have them quickly painted and ready to battle the Fisher King... 

Such fervour has not however, meant I am any less enthused by the fantasy-sports game "Rumbleslam", and resultantly, I am still working my way up the "charismatic dwarf" Ronnie Salvage. Indeed, just as soon as I have finished the "Kaiser's Palace veteran" I aim to get cracking on half a dozen more "TTCombat" wrestling superstars - "Boo Yeah!"

36 comments:

  1. Love the ghostly effect you have achieved Simon, great conversion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Its my usual recipe tbh, although I did initially try and stick to just grey and brown inks. The green though does add something haunting to the mix imho.

      Delete
  2. I think that the conversion and painting has gone very well. The Rumbleslam figure is taking shape too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. Salvage is finished and just being varnished as I type. Hopefully he'll be ready for Monday's MoVember posting.

      Delete
  3. great work on your ghost Simon, the Judoon are coming on nicely and look forward to a BatRep with them against the Fisher King.
    Ronnie Salvage is looking good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Top tip with the green wash ;-) Salvage has turned out well imho, so I'm looking forward to showing him off next week.

      Delete
    2. No problem mate, glad I could help

      Delete
  4. A nice offering of figures here. I am also interested in seeing your batrep between the fisher King and the Judoon.

    Ronnie Salvage is coming along nicely and I'm intrigued about your other "Rumbleslam" wrestlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. I have a few "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" BatReps planned for the run up to Christmas, so hopefully they won't disappoint. I'll hopefully be showing more "Rumbleslam" WIPs over the next few weeks too.

      Delete
  5. "Souls Wrenched From The Dead." Sounds like a description of my home town! I felt sure when I read there would be a pic of the high street!

    And as I look at the miniatures I grow more and more convinced that you have been here!

    Maybe I am being negative.

    Nice figure though and I am eager to see more. (Miniatures not local high street)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, LOL :-) More minis coming I assure you!!

      Delete
  6. Your "enthusiasm is at an all time high" IS quite apparent Simon, and it's a great thing to see via your current output :-)
    Long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the ghost and your current prolific output, even if I don't understand most of it! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Joe!! Hopefully you're picking up a few bits and bobs from my ramblings though? ;-)

      Delete
  8. No idea what's going on but I love the undead space rhino!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. One more undead rhino to go, and then the Judoon's battle against the Fisher King can begin in earnest.

      Delete
  9. Your incorporeal ghosts are magnificent, and like you I am somewhat enamoured by the Judoon (which will feature a bit in the forthcoming TGC Christmas launch of the new DW campaign which yours truly will be helping to write some of its twisting turns and narrative slants.

    Your ghostly horrors are gruesome and nicely painted. Your high gloss suits this effect perfectly. The wrestling superstar game (which in itself I am sad to say, does not massively excite me, sorry :(( ) looks perfect for Captain Nemo`s crew member Ned from the Shmoop story "Nautron respoc lorni virch." but maybe that`s just me. Anyway he`s nicely painted and rather inspires me with a mental image of 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tarot and I totally get the likeness to Ned Land. perhaps I should have painted Salvage's colours white and red like a harpooner instead :-) I'm looking forward to both "The Game Cupboard" "Dr Who" narrative and your own contribution to it :-)

      Delete
  10. some of your best work. really love these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I'm rather pleased with how the conversion has turned out to be sure :-)

      Delete
  11. Excellent take on the white ghosties, and another super write up on the (always varied) exploits of Fantorical. Strangely, I do see the Nemo tie in with Ronnie: I`d never have thought of that if it hadn`t be mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. I'm mightily tempted to start a Nemo's Crew for "Rumbleslam" now and pick up another Salvage to use as Ned :-)

      Delete
  12. hehe, now THAT idea sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. **grins wickedly**

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another interesting and entertaining post. Both the living and dead judoon look good and the Rumbleslam dwarf looks to be coming along very nicely. I like the skin tones you have achieved on him and cant wait to see the finished figure completed and ready to rumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Undercoat. There's a few more "Warlord Games" based posts in the wings, and with Salvage now finished (and sat in the flock tin) I've momentarily turned my attention to a different sports mini game ;-)

      Delete
  15. Nice brush work dude the conversion turned out nicely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. One conversion down, just another to go, and then the Fisher King is playable :-)

      Delete
  16. Doh! I thought I'd commented on this post earlier today, but obviously I hadn't. I really am useless sometimes.

    I like the painted Judoon. The whites and other colours really look cool on the miniature. I love the bluey- green bits (very technical term, I know).

    I'm contemplating on whether to buy Salvage for Kaiser's Palace stable, or not. I'm more drawn to Gertha and Tavern, and a few unaligned wrestlers. So I'm curious to see your progress and use of the character/miniature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all, Roy, and thanks for commenting - I always appreciate your thoughts on my current painting projects :-)

      I've another Judoon ghost to finish and post for next week, and then once the four living Judoon are finished, I'll be ready for a BatRep with them against the Fisher King.

      Salvage is a corking mini imho, and well worth investing in. He'll be next Monday's MoVember posting (as he's currently in the flock bin), and then I've just got to finish off his first opponent, before I do a really quick and simply BatRep featuring the pair of them.

      Delete
  17. Salvage is turning out great! Love the belly - reminds me of my own, prior to my starting to work out. :)

    Nifty ghostly Judoon needs more nifty ghostly pals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Salvage is now finished and will be posted up on Monday for MoVember. There's another Judoon Ghost coming - he just needs to be varnished and flocked ;-)

      Delete
  18. Nice work on the conversion and paint-job - good stuff Blaxkleric. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. I was a bit miffed when his axe broke, but now he's fixed and finished I'm a little bit happier with him.

      Delete