Tuesday 7 November 2017

"Often An Inexperienced Foe Will Empty Shot After Shot Into Them..."

"...Doing little more than blowing off small chunks or fingers."
This 28mm metal Zombie Gunfighter can be bought as part of Code OW010 from "Wargames Foundry", and was originally going to be one of my submissions for last month's Zomtober challenge. "Drawn by the shadows gathering across the nation" the undead cowboy will actually play a dual role on my tabletop, proving useful as one of the supernatural creatures who can make an appearance in "Dracula's America" by "Osprey Games", as well as also replacing the softly-sculpted plastic Hungry Dead models in "Shadows Of Brimstone" by "Flying Frog Productions.

Initially undercoated with "Vallejo" White and washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade in order for me to better see the figure's detail, I used "Citadel" Abaddon Black on the walking corpse's boots and belt. The grisly cadaver's trousers were then painted with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and his holster with Heavy Brown, before both areas were washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
"Doctor Who News"
As I wanted this particular 'killer' to appear drenched in the grime and dried blood of death, I washed his tattered shirt in a mixture of "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson and (even) more Strong Tone Quickshade. The pistol-carrying ghoul's decaying flesh was created by applying some "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green shade over a layer of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand.

The zombie gunfighter's pistol, belt buckle and ammunition belt were painted using a combination of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. Whilst "Vallejo" Heavy Blue was lightly dry-brushed across his "Citadel" Abaddon Black hair, and later washed with Nuln Oil, in order to give it a slightly undead bluish tinge.
Juddon 'Ghost' WIPs - The dead alien has had his axe re-attached and painted
"Warlord Games" recent announcement that more models are finally on the way for their "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" miniatures game has certainly helped reinvigorate my determination to paint some more of the models I already own from this particular range. Indeed, I've actually managed to additionally harness this enthusiasm for the "finely-sculpted scale pewter and plastic" figures by joining the editorial team of the "Doctor Who News" website, and penning for them an ongoing series of reviews based upon the rule-set and its accompanying sculpts. The first of these is already available to read here: "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" - The Miniatures Game.

Sadly, in my excitement I did inadvertently drop my Judoon Fisher King ghost test figure from a significant height, and as a result snapped his plastic "Frostgrave" axe off at the hilt. But with a little patience, filing and pinning, I have re-attached a somewhat shorter version of the hand-weapon back, and finished painting its base colours. Once shaded, I'm hoping the bright red axe-blade will really stand out in stark contrast to the deceased alien's ghostly hue.
Brightshield WIPs - The Stormcast Eternal has been primed, washed and now needs a lot of detailing
Lastly, with my model of Garrek currently submerged within my flocking tin, I have started to progress the first of my Stormcast Eternal figures for "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire". Like the Bloodreaver chieftain, Angharad Brightshield is one of the four plastic "Games Workshop" miniatures which need to be assembled in order to play the game's introductory quick-start confrontation...

18 comments:

  1. Great work on the cowboy Simon, congratulations on the editorial post, and good recovery on the dropped model, great start on your eternal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. I went with your suggestion Ref green wash on the Judoon in the end as the grey/brown wash wasn't doing it in my eyes. The Stormcast Eternal has loads of detail, so she's going to be another long piece of painting I fear.

      Delete
    2. Glad the suggestion was useful mate

      Delete
    3. Your top painting tips are always useful, Dave, its usually just a question of whether I've finished the mini or not before I post up the WIPs and spot your suggestions :-)

      Delete
  2. More and more variety. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. I try and keep my readers on their toes :-)

      Delete
  3. Great stuff Simon, but mention of your flocking tin reminds me - I'm still struggling to get decent flocking results :-(
    Any chance of a flocking tutorial??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg. I'll try and do a paragraph around my flocking next time I post up a model - I've part 2 of my latest "LoTR" BatRep due next on the posting schedule ;-)

      Delete
  4. Three excellent looking different minis, all of which have their own unique strengths as sculpts. I'm particualrly taken by the "ghost".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I'm hoping for the Judoon ghost to be finished soon, so hopefully he'll be posted next week. The Stormcast Eternal is a corking mini imho and should be painted up over the next few days.

      Delete
  5. Some lovely pieces here mate, something for everyone, I think the Juddon is my fave however

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. I've a few "Doctor Who" minis to finish off over the next few weeks, so expect quite a few postings before Christmas :-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely work throughout this post Simon.

    The Judoon gets my vote for best in show tho - I can imagine a group of these ethereal things looking very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm hoping to get a second Judoon ghost finished soon and then have a BatRep featuring them and the Fisher King battling some Judoon.

      Delete
  7. Very nice work on the latest Zombie Gunfighter. Apologies for the late comment, I am catching up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Leon, and cheers for the comment. That's quite a bit of catching up you've got to do too ;-)

      Delete