Thursday 2 November 2017

"Now that Batman And Robin Have Been Put Away on Ice..."

"...Nothing can stop our ingenious ice crimes!"
This 28mm plastic pre-painted "Wizkids" Lackey is number 019 from the "DC Comics" Hypertime range, and forms the beginnings of a "Gotham" gang for the former cryogenics expert, Mister Freeze, which I actually started working on over eighteen months ago. Intended to resemble Doctor Shivel's bobble-hat wearing goons from the February 1966 "Batman" Television story "Instant Freeze", the figure has been slightly converted, courtesy of a small ball of two-part modelling putty, and should have originally been finished during the 2016 "Forgotten Heroes" challenge.

Having drilled a small hole in the top of the figure's head, inserted a small piece of metal rod, and sculpted a simple 'bobble', the henchman was primed with "Citadel" Abaddon Black and had his trousers painted using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then layered his jumper and hat with "Vallejo" Heavy Blue, and treated them to a wash of  "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade.
Zombie Gunfighter WIPs - The undead cowboy has already had all but his head painted
The lackey's 'bobble' was 'picked out' with "Vallejo" White and Pale Grey, whilst his crowbar was given a coat of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. Finally, I painted the chilly criminal's flesh using some "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone and "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade, and then simply picked out his fingers, nose, ears, lips and cheeks with more "Vallejo Heavy Skintone. The miniature's base was flocked using some "Games Workshop" Snow.

Setting aside my "Heroclix" models momentarily, I've been lucky enough to find some time to continue working on another of my Zombie Gunfighters by "Wargames Foundry". I managed to get a handful of these pistol-carrying brain-eating cowboys painted during last month's Zomtober challenge, and hope to get the rest of the 'blister' finished over the next few weeks.
Garrek Gorebeard WIPs - The chieftain still contains a lot of unpainted detail
Similarly, I've continued to make some good progress on the first of my "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire" plastic figures. The quick-start sheet to this "action-packed combat game" states you only need (paint) four of the miniatures found within the starter box, before you can "quickly" be taken "through the basics of moving and attacking with your fighters."

As a result I'm initially focusing upon the Bloodreaver Garrek Gorebeard, and slowly working my way up his impressively-detailed sculpt with my paintbrush. The "chieftain of a murderous band of Khorne-worshippers" will be joined by Blooded Saek in the game's introductory battle, and should also prove an eye-catching character on the "Age Of Sigmar" tabletop, now "Games Workshop" have released his Reavers' statistics for its "story-driven" wargame too.

22 comments:

  1. Great to see you finishing off old projects Simon, but has it really been that long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, and I'm afraid so. I have another four more to finish too, before the original gang is complete.

      Delete
  2. Really, Simon, 18 months+ to paint such a simple figure! Tut, tut, tut!
    I very much like your zombie gunfighter. I have finally gotten round to paint my own Foundry Zombie Gunfighters, and about time too, I hear you say. Truth is, you inspired me to get them painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, the zombie is now finished and should be posted up next week. Sadly, I still have another four of Mister Freeze's henchmen to complete before that particular project is finished too. Glad to see you giving your zed cowboys some attention - I look forward to seeing them posted up on your blog :-)

      Delete
  3. Plenty of variation yet again Simon :-)
    Neat job on the 'clix conversion and I'm loving the zombie gunslingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I do try for variation when I can. There should be both some new zombie gunslingers and "Heroclix" henchmen posted over the next few weeks :-)

      Delete
  4. Nice! I absolutely love the old school Adam West Batman series, what a great nod to the series with your goon figure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivor. Having met Mr West, I'm always on the look out for nods to his classic portrayal of the 'Bright Knight', so i'm glad you approve.

      Delete
  5. I must admit those new GW Khorne figures are rather nice. I'm glad I have no gaming group otherwise I'd be buying that game.
    Lovely job so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Disconcertingly I'm finding all of the latest releases from "Games Workshop" to be highly tempting, so expect plenty more WIPs, minis and BatReps in future postings ;-)

      Delete
  6. It's obvious the Mr Freeze's good has been put on ibce for far too long - great simple 'conversion; too- like him a lot andhe could prove very adaptable for other uses, I'm guessing.
    I do like the zed's head, strange though it is but can't get away with the Shadespire figure, though I do appreciate your skills at picking out the details on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, LOL :-) I've four more of Mr Freeze's goons to finish, so expect another quartet to appear at some point. The zed is finished, varnished and flocked, so should be posted next week, and hopefully by then Garrek will also be done and dusted.

      Delete
  7. Nice work on the latest henchman and a great touch with the bobble addition to the hat - a simple but fun change. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. I do love the convertibility of the "Heroclix" Lackey mini.

      Delete
  8. Love the henchman. The Shadespire figure is coming along very nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark. One Mr Freeze henchman down - four to go!! Hopefully I'll get them done after I finish off my "Shadespire" minis.

      Delete
  9. Nice work on the new addition to the dark underworld of Gotham city. Nice start to the zombie gunfighter and Shadespire chap. Both nice looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. More "Gotham" additions to come, and I hope to have the zed cowboy posted next week, now he's finished. "Shadespire" is really grabbing my attention currently too - so much to like about "Games Workshop" currently, imho.

      Delete
  10. So many things on the go....so many lovely figs to admire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. Fortunately, your excellent blog has been a bit quiet lately, and that has given me ample opportunity to try and paint some of the minis I own, rather than be tempted to buy some of the new finds you keep bringing to my attention ;-)

      Delete
  11. I just LOVE that Wizkids Lackey 019 {Hypertime right?}. I like the bobble on the hat. Rest of the post is so cool, but the star of the show for me is the Lackey ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, the "DC Comics" Hypertime "Heroclix" range contains some cracking sculpts, and the Lackey is one of my all-time faves. So convertible imho. Hopefully you'll like my Riddler's gunman conversion just as much, as he should be posted soon :-)

      Delete