Tuesday 21 November 2017

“Justice Is Swift.”

"Scopo Trono Frojo Kofo Todo."
These two 38mm scale "pewter" models of the "mercenary intergalactic police force" known as the Judoon are produced by “Warlord Games”, and are based upon the extra-terrestrial humanoid rhinoceroses first seen in the 2007 BBC “Doctor Who” television story "Smith And Jones". However, having already previously painted three of the “Doctor Who: Exterminate” miniatures before, these two figures have had their right arms cut off and replaced with a pair carrying the aliens’ energy weapons.

Fortunately, these sculpts seem remarkably well disposed towards such straightforward conversion work, and despite their limbs being somewhat ‘slight’ in size, they were easily removed at either the wrist or elbow and subsequently hollowed out with a pin-vice. Indeed, the models’ disassembly went so well that at one stage I was actually considering a head-swap; albeit common sense and sound judgement ultimately prevailed, and I put my junior hacksaw down.
Silents WIPs - The aliens have been primed, dry-brushed and are slowly having their details 'picked out'.
With my ‘chop shop’ antics completed, both miniatures were primed with two layers of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, and dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal. They were then rather heavily washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil and had both their equipment and weapons ‘picked out’ using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson. As a final touch, the Judoons' collars and toecaps were layered with Ironbreaker and later shaded with more Nuln Oil.

Sticking with “Doctor Who: Exterminate!” momentarily, “Warlord Games” have recently released some fiendishly-painted examples of their range’s upcoming Order of the Headless, and these monks have rather inspired me to begin pigmenting three more Silents to form the bulk of a Papal Mainframe faction. I’ve only managed to get some basic layering done so far on the members of the intergalactic religious order, but spookily this work has coincided with the “Doctor Who News” website publishing my review of the Nottingham-based company’s Silence miniatures…
Grave Digger WIPs - The two versions of the same wrestler are still in their early stages
Way back in 1994, the "World Wrestling Federation" undoubtedly held one of it's most bizarre "SummerSlam" bouts ever, when two versions of the Undertaker fought one another inside Chicago's United Centre. At the time I thought the fight was an absolute hoot, even though it was clear that Ted DiBiase's version of the 'undead' professional wrestler (played by Brian Lee) was clearly a fake, so when I spotted that "TTCombat" had released a special edition of their "Rumbleslam" character Grave Digger, I immediately thought of replicating that somewhat ludicrous event.

Obviously, these two incarnations of the "Rolling Bones superstar" aren't really all that alike, with the 'limited' resin figure not only replicating Mark Calaway's 'Biker' image as opposed to his 'graveyard' one, but the model disconcertingly being significantly shorter in height too. However, I still thought the idea of pairing the duo up within the squared circle would make for an interesting fight and give me the option of 'fielding' the "The Streak" during a couple of different stages in his illustrious career.

28 comments:

  1. Good to see the Dr. Who miniatures getting a run at the moment Simon and I have to say I have been more and more tempted by the new miniatures. The tipping point might be a 4th Doctor set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. They'll be plenty more "Doctor Who" to come in December too as that'll be the month's theme. Spookily, "Warlord Games" have just announced a resin Fourth Doctor mini coming next month (in a box with the First and Tenth Doctor).

      Delete
    2. Well that's torn it! I had better start saving!

      Delete
  2. The Judoon really comes to life when it is completed.Nice job.
    The silence are taking shape nicely. When I see science fiction characters in tuxedos it always makes me think of Will Smith in Men In Black, `I make this look good'!
    When my lad was in his teens I took him to see WWE and although it's fake in many ways those wrestlers really do those stunts. I'm not sure what the move is called where they bounce a wrestler off the ropes; and when he flies back across the ring they slap them across the chest knocking them off their feet. You could here the slap in `the gods' where we had seats, but the hand print could be seen on the mans chest for the rest of the game. Ouch !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. Ah the old chop to the chest, one of my favourites, and as you say, a fierce-sounding blow if ever there was one!!

      Delete
  3. Great work on the Judoon Simon, the Silent's are progressing well.
    Remember well the undertaker vs Undertaker match and was as bizarre as the Kane vs Kane match with the crowd not knowing whether to boo or cheer, like the American bad ass version as well as the deadman version, would have liked to have seen a demon version as well from his time with the Acolytes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. 1994 was pretty close to the end of my time with the "WWF" sadly, so I never saw Kane's match nor the Undertaker's demonic guise. It all sounds like stuff I would have watched though :-)

      Delete
  4. Very well executed conversions Simon, and what a post!
    The Silents are up there with my all time favourite DW opponents AND the news that next month is going to be DW themed! :-)
    I've been looking forward to the Christmas Special, so all-in-all,......
    "It's the most, Who-onderful time, of the year!" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg. Yep, expect plenty of "Doctor Who" minis over the next few weeks as I try desperately to tackle my backlog in time for the January releases - and what a schedule "Warlord Games" have in store too!! I did need to put some ear-plugs in for your sing-song though ;-)

      Delete
  5. Very nice work on the Doctor Who monsters. Funnily enough, I have the Grave Digger (hat and duster version) on my painting desk right now as one of the Superstars for the Cryptborn Nightmares. He is a fantastic sculpt, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I look forward to seeing what you do with the Grave Digger. It was a real nice surprise, and great touch by "TTCombat" to produce the mini with so-recognisable a head-swap option.

      Delete
  6. Doctor Who is clearly on the ascendancy in the Blaxkleric household. I like the Judoon a lot and more Silence is always good. I guess you are getting excited about Jodie Whittaker taking over as the timelord. I think she is going to be a breath of fresh air and I hope Warlord does a mini for her quickly. The Rumbleslam minis look nice and I await to see what they look like when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Undercoat. I understand "Warlord Games" will be doing a 13th Doctor set, though I don't know a release date yet. I'd be surprised if it was before the TV Series though, as their sculptors tend to be sent show photos to use as reference material. There will, of course, be more "Rumbleslam" minis coming over the next few weeks too, as I dip my toe deeper into that game's waters.

      Delete
  7. The Judoon look cool. I'd play them just on looks alone ... Though you'd need to convince DaveD and MartinC to play Dr Who first, so I've some opponents close by ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. I have tried to convince DaveD and MartinC that the monsters are proper historical, as the costumes actually exist. But they weren't buying it...

      Delete
  8. Your outpus continues to amaze me; I don't know how you keep track of your many themes. I like the Judoon, looking very alien (as they should) though I'm still reserved on myopions on the wrestling fad - eachto their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, that's much appreciated :-) Hopefully a BatRep or two will convince you of the joys of "Rumbleslam"!!

      Delete
  9. Nice work dude and great start on the Undertaker :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good looking space rhinos, nicely varied from your previous ones, the suited aliens are coming along nicely and I have no idea about the wrestlers but they look like nice sculpts.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, lots of "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" stuff to come over the next few weeks... and more "Rumbleslam" too ;-)

      Delete
  11. Simple yet effective conversions, Simon. Nicely executed and well painted. You must have a veritable horde of these troops now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. Not quite a horde yet, I've still got two more to finish yet ;-)

      Delete
  12. I clearly remember When the undertaker 1st stepped on to the scene. I don't remember at all the version that you have next to him which is weird because back then I was very much invested in wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I don't recall the biker Undertaker myself tbh, as I'd stopped watching the "WWF" by then. But it seems to have been a popular reinvention of the character.

      Delete
  13. Very good work on the Judoon - well done Simon. :)

    ReplyDelete