Saturday 28 October 2017

"An Unwelcome Guest."

"As animated corpses, these undead nightmares are slow and shambling, but attack in large numbers..."
This 28mm metal Zombie Gunfighter can be purchased as part of Code OW010 from "Wargames Foundry", and is my sixth and final submission for this year's Zomtober challenge. One of several "dangerous supernatural" creatures who can suddenly take "an interest" in a fight whilst playing "Dracula's America" by "Osprey Games", this brain-chomping cowboy can also make an appearance "in games where you are using the Innocent Bystander rules" and "instead decide to use Zombies".

Rather reminiscent of a rodeo rider, the miniature was primed with "Vallejo" White and actually quickly washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade purely so I could see all the sculpt's intricate detail. His boots, belt and waistcoat were given a simple coat of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, whilst his leather chaparreras were painted using some "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and Gold, and them washed with more Strong Tone Quickshade.
"Feeling no pain and without fear for their own well-being, Hungry Dead are very difficult to kill."
I then 'picked out' the colourful cadaver's trousers and hat using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade, and treated his neckerchief to a dab of "Vallejo" Heavy Red and some "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson. The putrefying gunslinger's ammunition, pistol and belt buckle were given a layer of Ironbreaker and later shaded with an old pot of Badab Black.

I created my zombies' usual vivid green look by initially using a base-coat of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand, and subsequently washing it with "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green, Carroburg Crimson and a little Strong Tone Quickshade by "The Army Painter". In addition, I picked out the cowboy's bullet wounds with "Vallejo" Heavy Red, and treated these areas, alongside parts of his tattered white shirt, to a generous wash of more "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.
Stormcast Eternals WIPs - The bright blue plastic miniatures have been primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna
Having recently purchased "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire" by "Games Workshop" I have previously spent some time assembling and priming Garrek's Reavers for my Khorne Bloodbound warband. Disconcertingly however, as I am currently reading the "Black Library" novel "The Gates of Azyr", billed as "the perfect place to start exploring the Age of Sigmar", I have found myself rather drawn to the plight of the Stormcast Eternals, and resultantly, also now assembled the three Liberator figures for their "action-packed combat [board] game" as well.

Sadly, I don't think being produced in bright blue plastic does the sculpts of Angharad Brightshield, Obryn the Bold and their leader Severin Steelheart any particular favours, especially in their official publicity photographs. But now they have been primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, in preparation for a layer or two of Gold, I think these are some of the best detailed "Age Of Sigmar" miniatures I've seen; and sadly could very well tempt me to turn towards assembling a larger force for Order in the future... 

28 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that one armed zombie gunfighter, Simon. What a cool figure! Nice group shot.

    As for the GW stuff, well you know my feelings about their figures, games, pricing policing and attitude to long term gamers so rather than say something nasty about them I'll say nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan. I do thoroughly recommend the "Wargames Foundry" Zombie Gunfighters, especially for "Dracula's America". I must say the new "Games Workshop" are really winning me back over with their different "Age Of Sigmar" products and dual purpose minis.

      Delete
    2. Simon, I already have the Foundry Zombie Gunfighters set but why I haven't painted them yet is beyond me (!) because like you, I love them. Still, with you painting yours and with my current interest in "Dracula's America" and "Shadows of Brimstone" I should make the effort to finally paint them.

      Delete
    3. "I already have the Foundry Zombie Gunfighters set but why I haven't painted them yet is beyond me" - Shock, horror, Bryan... why ever not!?! ;-) I certainly hope to continue building up my numbers of them to give my Crusaders something to battle.

      Delete
  2. Cracking job on the undead gunslinger Simon :-)
    They are indeed excellent sculpts and the group shot is a corker!
    Same as Bryan, I have a love/hate relationship with Games Workshop - they were instrumental in getting me back into gaming though, so I'll say no more other than "Any idea what the limited edition Warhammer Village set would be worth nowadays?" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg. I don't post as many group photos as I'd like tbh, so I'm glad this one is going down well. I too loathed "Games Workshop" a few years back, but under this new boss, they are definitely doing many things right in my books, and "Shadespire" has certainly got me excited; indeed I've just pre-ordered the Orcs and Skeleton factions for it ;-)

      Delete
  3. I have a love hate attitude to GW. Some figures like this one I love. The price and the stores less so.

    As you know the Zombie Gunfighters are my cup of tea as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint. I must confess to not visiting any "Games Workshop" stores either. My purchases are predominantly internet-only, and resultantly, I tend to find I can get my "Age Of Sigmar" goodies at a considerable discount.

      Glad you like the zed cowboy. Despite "Zomtober" being over, I thought I'd try and at least finish off the first blister I own of them over the coming months.

      Delete
  4. that Zombie Gunfighter at the beginning of your post is magnificently painted. The basing of your minis in that Hungry Dead photo is very highly attractive. The GW figs look spectacularly heroic I must say and you really cant fault the sculpts at all, I just... I dunno, its too late for me ever to get back into GW I think. Lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, much appreciated. With the exception of a few "Frostgrave" minis, and a couple of super-villains, I like to use the self-same basing technique for every mini for just that reason.

      What can I say about "Games Workshop", except that their latest stuff is really catching my eye, and giving me a lot of inspiration/mojo for the hobby - which is what a company should be doing in my books :-)

      Delete
  5. Another great cowboy Zed Simon, the eternals look interesting shall wait to see what you do with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I've got the Khorne Reavers to do first, but reading "Black Library" books is definitely keeping the mojo going.

      Delete
  6. Great work Simon! He looks like he's seen better days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking zed ('cept for the pistol!) and I do love that group shot too!
    I really can't get enthusiastic about GW products, despite some wonderful sculpting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Glad you like the undead cowboy (and his pals). I fear there's going to be a lot more "Games Workshop" content coming to this blog over the next few months, as the first wave of "Shadespire" expansions is due within the next week or so.

      Delete
  8. Nice brushwork on the’slinger mate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab job mate. All your Dracula themed figures for this year are great. Top work my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, much appreciated. This year's Zomtober has certainly helped me get some paint on a few of my "Dracula's America" stuff... hopefully I can get some more done before next years ;-)

      Delete
  10. I love the idea of the zombie gunfighter, great fun and really well done Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Its been a fab "Zomtober" this year, and hopefully I get a few more zeds done before the cowboy mojo abates.

      Delete
  11. Excellent work on the latest Zombie Gunfighter Blaxkleric, and very well for our Zomtober outputs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Leon, and to you and Simon etc for putting this year's Zomtober together. Much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  12. Lovely as always. Minus a gaming group I'm letting Shadespire and the new Necromunda pass me by. No point in buying this sort of thing if I'm not going to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. The bonus for me with "Shadespire" is definitely the duality of the models (i.e. I can use them "Age of Sigmar" too). As for Necromunda... it does seem a little odd to see that game being played on the ground and not on walkways, and as you sadly say, if you're not going to use it...

      Delete
  13. Brilliant! Those chaps on the gunfighter are the business :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor. Those chaps were a serious pain to paint too!! ;-)

      Delete