Sunday 10 September 2017

"The Death Guard Are Foulness Made Manifest."

"They are a vision of unnatural corruption, of nobility, courage and strength perverted into nightmarish foulness..."
This 28mm scale plastic miniature of a Heretic Astartes is made by "Games Workshop" and can be found within the company's "ultimate Warhammer 40,000 boxed set" "Dark Imperium". One of seven actual Death Guard Plague Marine figures that can be assembled using the starter game's sprues, this Chaotic infantryman is armed with a bolt pistol and krak grenade.

Having super-glued the five-piece figure together, I primed the Nurgle space marine with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and subsequently 'dabbed' some Boltmetal Grey all over him. I then washed the tainted legionnaire with "Citadel" Nuln Oil and dry-brushed him with more "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey.
Out House WIPs - The wooden structure has been undercoated, shaded and dry-brushed
In order to provide the Plague God’s favoured with a decidedly rusty-look, the "eternally rotting" marine was treated to a generous coat of "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade and “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade, before being 'subjected' to a layer of "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash. The miniature was then once again (delicately) dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey.

With the basics finished, I then turned my attention to 'picking out' just some of the arguably insurmountable detail sculpted onto the "Disgustingly Resilient" figure. This consisted of applying a combination of "Vallejo" Brass and "Citadel" Nihilakh Oxide to one of the Plague Marine's knee-pads, scarab beetle ornaments and the head of a krak grenade. In addition, I applied some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade to the Heretic Astarte's bolt pistol strap and ammunition belt. 
Sea Devils WIPs - The Jon Pertwee foes need just their heads and vests finishing off
With my "Warhammer 40k" 'pilot piece' finished, I have found the time to finally start working on some of the Wild West Terrain I recently purchased from "Wargames Terrain Workshop" for the Weird West rule-set "Dracula's America". This Out House has simply been washed, primed and dry-brushed, but once its had its separate door painted and attached, it should make for an interesting, if not potentially unappealing, objective marker on my 1875 battlefield.

Lastly, I am still 'diligently' progressing some more Sea Devils from my disconcertingly expanding collection of "Doctor Who" miniatures by "Warlord Games". I actually have another three of these "Aquatic Silurians" yet to even base, so felt I needed to get this trio completed as soon as possible; especially as the Nottingham-based manufacturer have just released the figures for a certain "family of criminal Raxacoricofallapatorians", as well as Victor Kennedy and his alter-ego, the Abzorbaloff.  

26 comments:

  1. A sea devil and a loo what else does a man need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "what else does a man need?" - a bit more space on my painting table so I can squeeze in some additional minis, Clint? ;-)

      Delete
    2. Remember Parkinson's law Law. "Work expands to fill the time and space allotted!"

      Delete
    3. LOL Clint. I hope my selection method for the minis I paint isn't quite so bureaucratic as the British Civil Service :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice job on the nurgle marine, he certainly looks full of decay. the outhouse is coming on well, and more great work on the sea devils. I guess you need to keep up with all the new who releases as their bringing them out pretty quick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I do indeed need to clear some space for the upcoming "Doctor Who" releases :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued to know who would want an outside toilet as an objective and more importantly, why? Chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon any cover is going to be a good objective in the sparse badlands, Bryan, but it isn't one I'd be willingly heading for that's for sure ;-)

      Delete
  4. I knew the Death Guard Plague Marine was worth keeping a eye on. Hes certainly looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Plague marine is looking awesome Simon and I think I like your work on the Sea Devils best out of all the Who stuff.
    As for Bryan's comment, I've lost count of the number of times an outside toilet has been my main objective when we've been out and about! ;-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wargame Addict. Hopefully I'll have polished off all these WIPs soon... then I can show you some more. I too know what you mean about rural objectives ;-)

      Delete
  6. Nice to see an alternative take on the Death Guard; the corroded metals work well. I thought the outhouse was going to be a Nurgle objective marker ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul. I wanted to do something different and fast(ish), so I'm pleased the rust-look has gone down so well. The Out House could indeed be a very thematic Nurgle objective marker ;-)

      Delete
  7. The plague marine in suitably revolting imo and strangley enough I too have just acquired a model outside loo !
    Still love the sea raider colour scheme you're using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Loves of different palette choices on the painting table currently. helps me keep the mojo flowing. I hope you get better very soon btw :-)

      Delete
  8. Very nice work on the Death Guard; love the colour palette. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. I'm very pleased with how this test piece came out.

      Delete
  9. I like all of these! The rust is always impressive, the out house is totally not crap at all....**cough** and I love the sea devils palette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I'm pleased to say that both the Out House and the Sea Devils are now finished, and should be posted up soon :-)

      Delete
  10. A nice mix as usual. Love the Deathguard marine am enjoying or this Nurgleness thats about lately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. Plenty more Nurgle to come too, as I try and kill two "Games Workshop" birds with one stone by painting minis I can use for both "Age Of Sigmar" and "Warhammer 40K".

      Delete
  11. A whole squad of those marines is going to be very cool. Cant wait for a group pic.

    After seeing yours, i need an outhouse too for my ostfront terrain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed, Dai. Glad you approve of the rusty Nurgle look. As you say, a unit of these (and then an army) should look suitably gross on the battlefield. An out house would be an awesome additional to your Ostfront :-)

      Delete