Tuesday 26 September 2017

"Shipwreck Grew Up In The Shadow Of The Navy..."

"See the target, shoot the target is his philosophy."
This 28mm metal miniature of Shipwreck is from a private collection and thus not commercially available. Fortunately however, I was lucky enough to be able to acquire a spare casting of the "Chief Petty Officer" and subsequently chose to paint him in a palette similar to how the Machinist's carded action figure appeared in 1985.

Originally primed with a double helping of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, the Gunners Mate later had his trousers painted with "Vallejo" Heavy Blue and his shirt Heavy Bluegrey. Both of these areas were then washed with "Citadel" Drakenhof Nightshade. In addition, I picked out the M-16 qualified expert's belt buckles with a combination of "Vallejo" Gold and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
Slitheen WIPs - The aliens have had their claws, toes and teeth 'picked out'
Shipwreck's s firearm was 'picked out' using "Vallejo" Boltmetal Grey and "Citadel" Nuln Oil. Whilst his sailor's hat was initially layered with some "Vallejo" White and once dry, shaded with Pale Grey. Finally, the character's pet parrot named Polly, was predominantly painted using "Vallejo" Heavy Khaki and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green. Unlike the action figure's feathered companion I did add a little "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre to the bird's feet and beak to help break up its mono-tone palette.

Sticking with the colour green, I have managed to make some excellent progress on my three formidably-clawed extra-terrestrial criminals from the planet Raxacoricofallapatorian. Produced by "Warlord Games" for their "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" tabletop miniature game, these Slitheen have proved a real joy to paint, and now only need the application of some brown washes, a spot of dry-brushing and a little tidying up to be finished.
Beast Of Nurgle WIPs - The creature has been dry-brushed, and had several washed applied to it
Having recently completed my Host of Nurgle's second Herald of Nurgle, I have also found time aplenty to start building up the 'bruised banana' look of my force's third Beast Of Nurgle. These horrendous aberrations still only cost 60 points in "The General's Handbook 2017" and resultantly continue to be one of my favourite "Games Workshop" units for "Age Of Sigmar".

Indeed, I'm sorely tempted to purchase another three of the "Finecast" sculpts in order to bring my 'Warhammer Fantasy' herd up to full-strength. For now though, I have been haphazardly applying plenty of purple and blue inks across the slimy monster's hide, and bestowed upon it a horribly poisonous "Citadel" Abaddon Black "stomach-churning" tongue, with which to playfully lick its ill-fated prey... 

26 comments:

  1. As usual you have made good progress. The Beast of Nurgle are rather pricey and buying 3 at once would be quite an investment. I'm not sure how often they arrive on EBay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. The Beasts of Nurgle are indeed expensive, but rather lovable on the tabletop, and apparently somewhat upgraded should Horticulous Slimux command my forces of Nurgle.

      Delete
  2. Ship wreck turned out really well Simon, the Slitheen are looking good, because the eye's are such a focal point on these models I suggest adding some Night Blue as a shade on the bottom of the eye with a single white glint at the top.
    The beast is looking suitably putrescent great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. All these models on show are now finished and varnished, so hopefully the gloss will partially capture the look of your top painting tip :-)

      Delete
  3. Stunning work on the Slitheen, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Hopefully the finished product will be just as well received.

      Delete
  4. Great job on Shipwreck and the Slitheen is spot-on...... but the Beast Of Nurgle is awesome :-)
    Cracking post as usual Simon, with a real variety of subject matter again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wargame Addict. I do like to mix and match my minis :-)

      Delete
  5. excellent modelling all round, cant decide which is best actually. But "Chief Petty Officer" might be a nose ahead, if I had to chose just one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. Shipwreck is the only finished mini so I'm glad he's the winner ;-) The others are now varnished and done, so should be posted up soon too.

      Delete
  6. I like the Slitheen best. We don`t have that set do we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hils. Its one of "Warlord Games" best sets imho.

      Delete
  7. no love but we really should rectify that I`m thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to wait Steve, until a couple of months from now when "Warlord Games" plan to have all their minis come with cards?

      Delete
  8. Nice work. The Slitheen looks very effective but I do really like the Beast of Nurgle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark. Hopefully the finished products will look just as good :-)

      Delete
  9. Shipwreck is an excellent addition to your G.I. Joe project mate - very well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. A nice little project which hopefully I'll add to in the coming months.

      Delete
  10. Awesome job on Shipwreck one of my faves. The beastsculpts of Nurgle are some of my favouritemployer Daemons as well they always had cool models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I thoroughly enjoyed painting Shipwreck I must confess. The Beast of Nurgle sculpt is equally as fun too, isn't it :-)

      Delete
  11. "Shipwreck" has come out really well; it must have been a bit tricky picking out so much detail when most of it is black.
    Even though I have no idea about the SLithereen, I can recognise a superb paintjob when I see one and this has to be one of your finest - it;s just looks so alien!
    And pf course I'm looking forward to your gruesome take on the "Beast"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Shipwreck has certainly turned out better than I hoped, and the Slitheen are corking "Doctor Who" minis too, imho. The Beast of Nurgle, like the Slitheen, is finished as well, so they should all be posted soon.

      Delete
  12. Good job on shipwreck. Straight oit of the comics, and the blue oyster bar.

    Thr slithereen are magnificent! Will they be getting some human "suited" versions too?

    I do like a brown beast o' nurgle. Almost like a living poo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai, I'm a huge fan of this privately-owned range of "G.I. Joe" minis.

      I haven't heard of human versions of the Slitheen yet, but I'd certainly buy just such a set if it was.

      Glad you like my beast of Nurgle, as I always look to you for the seal of Nurgle's approval :-)

      Delete