Thursday 21 September 2017

"I Waited For You."

"Bill? Bill, talk to me. What have they done to you?"
This 42mm tall metal Cyberman miniature is made by “Warlord Games” and can be found within their "Nightmares In Silver" Cybermen Collector's Set 1966-2013. Clearly sculpted to resemble one of the silver giants during Kit Pedler and Gerry Davis's 1966 television serial "The Tenth Planet", I’ve actually attempted to paint the Mondasian model to replicate Bill Potts’ cybernetic conversion in the 2017 story “World Enough And Time.”

As a result the figure was originally primed with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, treated to a double layer of Ironbreaker, and subsequently shaded using some Nuln Oil. The Twelfth Doctor’s ill-fated companion was then dry-brushed with more Ironbreaker, and had her cloth body costume and face covering painted using "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey and White. Both of these areas were treated to a wash of "Citadel" Nuln Oil.
"Your astronomers must have just discovered a new planet."
Bill's hands, which in the television series were 'replaced' with a pair of latex gloves, were initially given a coat of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre and subsequently washed with watered-down "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade. Her eyes and mouth were 'picked out' with Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil. But only after repeated attempts as I found the soft detail of these areas incredibly difficult to paint with any sort of success and ultimately had to simply leave the face well enough alone for my sanity's sake.

Having made the conscious decision to paint the Mondasian Cyberman in order to use it as a 'companion' rather than one of the Doctor's foes, I was rather delighted to receive two additional copies of the sculpt from "Warlord Games", in appreciation for all my coverage of their "Into the Time Vortex" range. This gave me the opportunity to paint both Krail and Regos Krang from "The Tenth Planet", and readily distinguish them from my Potts figure by using "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone on their hands rather than Heavy Ochre.
Judoon Ghost WIPs - The spectral alien mercenary has had his right arm cut and left hand drilled
With the completion of all the miniatures from the "Nightmares In Silver" Cybermen Collector's Set 1966-2013, as well as the additional silver giants "Warlord Games" have generously gifted me, I have turned my attention towards converting a couple of  Judoon models into the two "Incorporeal" ghosts which should accompany the Fisher King on the "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" tabletop.

I've gone with the Shadow Proclamation enforcers as I figured the "outer space police" would be obvious opponents of the planet Tivoli's towering conqueror, and only plan on using the non-helmeted version of the "Rhinoceros-headed humanoids" so I can paint the deep-set black eye sockets which were so hauntingly well-done on the 2017 televised story "Under the Lake". In addition, I intend to have all my ghosts carry (fire) axes so I can paint the improvised hand-weapons in colour rather than the whitish grey palette I ordinarily use for all my spectres.

22 comments:

  1. Nice work on the iron man and like your conversion though it seems weird to see an alien with an axe like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Hopefully once painted up the Judoon won't look too out of sorts. But picking up hand-weapons is what the Fisher King's ghostly minions do, hence my eagerness to give them an axe.

      Delete
  2. Great work on Bill Simon, plus the the bonus two cybermen. An interesting idea for your spectres shall watch with interest as this develops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Hopefully I'll be able to create a nice little collection of deranged Fisher King ghosts to follow him around; all made of 'spare' monsters... and perhaps the odd companion ;-)

      Delete
  3. I like your thinking, Simon. You have clearly put a lot of thought into these figures. It's all looking good to me. And yet more freebies! Colour me jealous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. "Warlord Games" continue to be a tip top sponsor for my hobby, so it seems only fair to keep singing their praises on this blog.

      Delete
  4. Good stuff. No idea what any of it means since I didn't watch Dr Who, but it sounds good. The 2nd picture looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. Just go with it and hopefully you'll still enjoy plenty of sci-fi madness in my coming posts :-)

      Delete
  5. Great idea to render one of the early Cybermen to represent Bill - I did wonder if they'd do an "official release".
    I'm with Dave, and will be looking forward with interest to see how you tackle the spectres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed Wargame Addict. I was delighted when "Warlord Games" sent me some more of "The Tenth Planet" Cybermen, so I could do a couple of 'proper' ones too. Fingers crossed the Fisher King spectres go well.

      Delete
  6. Lovely lovely Cybermen! Very deserving of those kind freebies I think.

    The Judoon idea as specters is fantastic! Excited to see how these will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I'm not particularly pleased with how these Cybermen's faces have turned out. But they're the best I can do. Hopefully I'll have some Judoon ghost WIPs posted soon.

      Delete
  7. I do so like the David Tennant era set of Doc and his various assistants (but then agan, I like the Peter Capaldi set too... specially the Paternoster Gang members, ideal for a Victorian setting). We must post an AAR or two of our DW antics sometime. Your offerings this week are suitably thematic and yummy Simon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Hils. I need to paint up some more of the tenth and twelfth doctor's companions at some point. But still have a few monsters to go first. I'm certainly looking forward to your "Doctor Who" AARs :-)

      Delete
    2. As Hils says, Simon.. tasty offerings coming from the Fantorical site lately (I`ve not been visibly as active lately due to being busy, but I DO watch the posts)... and it is good to see some of the Doctors and companions starting to creep in, especially as the casts are so nice.

      Delete
    3. Cheers Steve, I have half the Tenth Doctor companions set to finish, and then the entirety of the Twelfth Doctor's, so plenty of companions to come.

      Delete
  8. Love the Cyberman. Has a very 'retro' vibe. The figures in the group shot look excellent together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark. I always like to throw in a group shot when I can, and it helps put the minis in perspective to one another.

      Delete
  9. Excellent work on the Bill-Cyberman Blaxkleric. :)

    I have to admit I was disappointed that Bill was not given more seasons (similarly to how I felt that Martha Jones ought to have had more time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. I'm still not happy with her eyes and face, but I such is life. I too was a huge Bill Potts fan, and disappointed that she didn't have a second season. Indeed, I could even have put up with Calpaldi a bit longer if she had stuck around.

      Delete
  10. The 'giant' cybermen look very imposing and will look great amongst the rest og their forces.
    (the minions aren't what I was expecting and I guess tou'll not be painting them yellow!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I'm pleased these'll be the last of my Cybermen for a while, as I think I need a break from all that silver :-)

      Delete