Wednesday 13 September 2017

"And That's An Order!"

"You Puke! You Maggot!"
This 28mm metal miniature of Sergeant Slaughter is from a private collection and thus not commercially available. Luckily however, I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire a spare casting of the "Drill Instructor" and subsequently chose to paint him in a palette similar to how the Survival Trainer's carded action figure appeared in 1985.

Originally primed with two coats of "Citadel" Abaddon Black, the "immortalised" Professional Wrestler was dry-brushed with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal and later heavily washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. His boots and shirt were then treated to a combination of "Vallejo" USA Olive Drab and "Citadel" Biel Tan Green, whilst his hat and moustache were 'picked out' with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.
"Pack of two garbage disposal units, one short, one tall."
Sergeant Slaughter's belt was painted "Vallejo" White and subsequently shaded with Pale Grey. His belt buckle pigmented with "Vallejo" Gold and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade", and his wristband treated to a layer of "Vallejo" Heavy Red, before being washed with "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson. Finally, a coat of "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil were applied to the "celebrity" figure's shades.

In addition to finishing "the first G.I. Joe figure accurately based on a real person" and supposedly, "the most successful toy character" of the franchise, I have also completed two Garbage Disposal Units from "Wargames Terrain Workshop" Future City Scenics range. These two 'rubbish eaters' can be bought already painted, but as I wanted the pair of resin pieces to fit in with my 'rusty bare metal' post-apocalypse world, I decided to paint them myself.
Slitheen WIPs - The extra-terrestrial criminals have been undercoated using "Vallejo" Heavy Khaki
As a result both of the garbage units were undercoated with "Citadel" Abaddon Black and subsequently treated to a double layer of "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey. They were then washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil, dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey, and washed with "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Lastly, both pieces received a somewhat generous application of "Mig Productions" Extreme Rust Wash, and were dry-brushed for a third time with "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey.

Sadly, what space on my painting table these recent successes have created has not lasted long, on account of "Warlord Games" almost relentless release schedule for their "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" tabletop miniature range. Delightfully however, I don't mind at all, as these latest additions, the criminal Slitheen Family from Raxacoricofallapatorian, were sent to me by the Nottingham-based company free-of-charge, in thanks for all the articles I've recently posted about their "Into The Time Vortex" models...

22 comments:

  1. Great work on Sgt Slaughter and the garbage disposal units Simon, and great additions to your Dr Who range, there is some nice poses there, and bonus they were free

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, albeit Sergeant Slaughter took considerably longer to paint than your excellent garbage disposal units :-) I was planning on getting the Slitheen even before "Warlord Games" kindly sent me a box, because of their wonderful poses, so as you say, they are a real bonus in my books.

      Delete
  2. A nice post, Simon, and surely if anyone deserved free Doctor Who figures from Warlord Games, it is you for all the publicity you've given them and your tireless support of their products. I fancy placing a big order with them myself to take up their offer of the free Fisher King model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. "Warlord Games" continue to surprise and delight with their continuous generosity. The Fisher King is well worth "a big order" imho, as it, quite understandably, towers over the rest of the range to date. Mine is already based, primed and shaded, so I hope to tempt you into getting one even more with a WIP or two in the near future ;-)

      Delete
    2. I relented and placed that big order. To be honest, it was a no-brainer making the decision.

      Delete
    3. I totally agree, Bryan. I have found some of the responses to the Fisher King offer a little disconcerting when "Warlord Games" first announced its site exclusiveness. Some genuinely seemed to miss the point that the mini was free and that it itself didn't cost £75. Plus with "Warlord Games" current release rate, you'd only need to hold fire for a month or two before they'd be enough new minis out there to hit that tally; and that's if you don't buy multiples boxes of the monsters.

      Delete
  3. I must say that the Warlord Doctor Who figs have won me over...in no little part due to your posts! I am managing to resist temptation, though. They're releasing so many I just couldn't keep up especially with the lead pile I already have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. I was only joking with "Warlord Games" yesterday that they needed to pause their "Doctor Who" release schedule by a month or so, to help let me catch-up with their minis. Even with so many freebies being sent my way, I don't own them all by a long way.

      I think once the gaming cards are released though, this range will become a bit more like so many other sci-fi brands, where, for sanity's sake alone, you'll have to pick a race or two, and simply use them - that's certainly what I've done with my Zygon Faction.

      Delete
  4. The Sergeant looks the business dude. Great job ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon, and thanks for the inspiration to get him :-)

      Delete
  5. Another productive week. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I've got a bit of a backlog so expect the postings to fly thick'n'fast over the coming weeks so I can clear my painting table.

      Delete
  6. Loads of lovely eye candy on offer, thanks Simon

    ReplyDelete
  7. It appears i've been a bit lax in my comments on your blog, Simon - but they do seem to be coming thick and fast.

    Whilst Sergeant Slaughter wasn't my favourite Joe (although 'The Fridge' was probably the cheesiest RL tie-in), you have managed to capture the essence of the character in your paint-job.

    Nice work on the trash bins and the Slitheen are very true to their on-screen counterparts. It must also be quite gratifying to be recognised and rewarded by Warlord Games in this way. Congratulations on your gift...although it does mean your painting table must be groaning under the weight of all your figures. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I think having a dialogue with people through the comments section is the best part of blogging these days, but I totally understand that real life takes priority; especially with so many splendid blogs out there to visit.

      I never saw the Fridge "G.I. Joe", though from your comment I take it that was probably a good thing ;-)

      "Warlord Games" have been superb in supporting my 'addiction' to their "Into The Time Vortex" range. Their sneak peaks regarding future releases alone has had me hooked from the start. The minis really are the icing on the cake, and I'm especially pleased with the choice of models they've been so generous in sending me :-)

      Delete
  8. Another member for your miniature YMCA - looking good.
    THe garbage eaters should carry a health warning and will fit in nicely with a future set-up as would the slithereen as an alien - Doc. Who I assume ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Yup, the Slitheen are indeed another addition to my ever-growing "Doctor Who" collection.

      Delete
  9. Very nicely done on Sgt Slaughter mate. :)

    Not my favourite GI Joe character by any stretch (despite being the first one I painted myself), but you have done an excellent job on a very good sculpt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon. I must confess that my liking for Sgt Slaughter comes from his WWF days rather than his appearance in the "G.I. Joe" animated film.

      Delete
  10. slaughter looks spot on.

    And Slitheens! Love those skin wearing aliens. Lucky sod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Being my fave "G.I. Joe", I'm really pleased with Sgt Slaughter, and obviously with "Warlord Games" being so generous as to send me some Slitheen too :-)

      Delete