Thursday 6 July 2017

"...Kneel Before Zod!"

"Our damnation became our salvation." 
This 35mm metal model of General Zod is made by "Knight Models" and comes from the company's "DC Universe Miniature Game" range. Taken from the 2013 superhero film "Man Of Steel", the sculpt captures the likeness of Superman's arch-nemesis and the head of Krypton's Military Guild, as played by actor Michael Shannon.

Sold as a two-piece "white metal kit", along with two Guild Warriors, the sprue actually comes with both the super-villain's rather recognisable bearded bare head, as well as one wearing his protective helmet. Both of these 'bitz' seemed to easily fit in place inside the top of the megalomaniacal Kryptonian's elaborate neck armour, but as I always like to see the face of my models where possible, I went with the uncovered version and simply super-glued it in place.
General Zod WIPs - The 35mm scale miniature's armour was layered, washed and dry-brushed
Having attached Robert Bernstein and George Papp's comic book creation upon a 30mm lipped circular base, as opposed to the pre-moulded stand which comes inside the plastic blister, I primed Zod with two layers of "Citadel" Abaddon Black and then painted all of his "extremely durable Kryptonian alloy" armour with "Vallejo"" Gunmetal Grey. "Scavenged... from one of the many abandoned Kryptonian colonies scattered throughout the universe" the General's protective covering is described as being "silver in colour", yet appears in all the pictures I've referenced to be rather muted and dark nonetheless. Resultantly, I washed the armour with two layers of "Citadel" Nuln Oil in order to try and capture that effect and only then, very lightly dry-brushed it with more "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey.

With the criminal's armour completed, I 'picked out' all the exposed areas of the Phantom Zone prisoner's Male Kryptonian Suit with "Citadel" Abaddon Black and heavily dry-brushed his cloak, hair and beard with "Vallejo" Heavy Charcoal. These areas were subsequently shaded with "Citadel" Nuln Oil before I finished his face using a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Skintone and "Citadel" Reikland Fleshshade.
Time War Cybermen WIPs - The silver giants have been layered and washed
I've yet to field General Zod in the "DC Universe Miniature Game", but the Kryptonian's apparent resistance to both Physical and Energy damage, as well as his Superpunch, Heat Vision, Superattack and "Martial Pride", would appear to make him an aggressive piece on the tabletop. In addition, coupled with Faora and Nam-Ek, "these villainous reinforcements" seemingly produce 50 Levels of "brute force, mobility, and lots and lots of stamina" that "are the best option for taking on the powerful Son of Krypton."

Alongside one of Superman's "greatest enemies", I have also made some healthy progress on the last of my plastic Cybermen from my "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" starter box, as well as the metal Time War version found within the "Warlord Games" Cybermen Collector's Set 1966-2013. Not only have these miniatures been undercoated and subsequently painted "Citadel" Ironbreaker, but all four models have been washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil...

28 comments:

  1. still working away Simon, that`s super. Tell me, just how 35mm is General Zod? I mean WG`s 35mm 10th Doctor and any of the assistants, Daleks, etc etc, all stand without even a minor discrepancy alongside any of our normal 28mm ones (just to make double sure, I put Crooked Dice`s Amy Pond beside Warlord`s Rose Tyler, and there is absolutely no height difference).

    You have a veritable Cybermen army there don`t you Simon :)

    All looking very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always working away on some model, Hils, as they keep me sane. Height wise, I already have plans for General Zod to lead his own army of Men of Steel against a certain caped crusader and time traveller ;-) they mix that well.

      Delete
    2. General Zod certainly IS most imposing. I ca just see him leading the Cybers.

      Simon, we have been manic here this past few weeks, sccupting, converting, painting, basimg, making terrain, and so forth. Meanwhile himself has been writing, map making (dungeon making) and planning the campaign, and we`re at the point of realising we are just about ready to start our ow campaign - WAY ahead of expected time. We`ve been at it so solidly, we didnt even realise we were so absolutely nearly ready to start. Trouble is, we don`t want to begin knowing you are doing a lot for DW at the moment. Would you mind if we began our own combo D&D/Sci-fi (alternative reality) DW campaign now? Stevie`s eve thinking he will tie it in loosely with your own Metamorphasis A, just for fun and to bind the two blogs a bit tighter hehe?

      Delete
    3. Hil's, I've no problem with you posting your project now. The more the merrier I say. Indeed, it may well help motivate me to paint up a few more miniatures. Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with :-)

      Delete
    4. Oooo excellent, yeeey. THANK you. Just wanted to be respectful and ask first.

      Delete
    5. I wouldnt even have asked and happily been patient for a few months :-) but she did lol (> we sat drinking tea this morning discussing readiness status, and I mentioned to her "you know what?" I said, "I`m actually ready." <) Okay watch out for the intro post on it, if not tonight, then over the week end for sure.

      Delete
    6. Really looking forward to it Steve & Hils :-)

      Delete
  2. This blog just keeps getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tarot. I do try and swap things about as and when I can.

      Delete
  3. >>> looks up bleary eyed for a moment from his painting desk, where lines and lines of little 8mm Napoleonic Frenchmen sit half painted, impatient to get to grips with their hated enemy, the British. <<<<

    yep! General Zod and his battle ranks of Cybermen are coming along beautifully; most impressive indeed. Hopefully we shall see Zod in action at the head of his new army, quite soon? Perhaps a few Boromites can lurk and skulk at the edges, mindless automaton muties under the mind sway (and fear) of their terrible General!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I do hope to have Zod on the tabletop real soon. I also have a few more finished Boromites to post too :-)

      Delete
  4. Zod looks suitably imposing Simon and great progress on the cybermen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Simple stuff currently, whilst I work behind the scenes on some Boromites.

      Delete
    2. If it keeps the flow going it's well worth it. Look forward to seeing the finished Boromites, then you can work on some of the more interesting pieces

      Delete
  5. I was never that keen of Zod as a character, but I do like that miniature, he'd make a good space tyrant.

    I'm also not sure about the running Cyberman, do cybermen run these days? I always imagine then plodding on remorselessly, a bit like Terminators. Lovely painting all round though.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I rather like Zod myself and hope a Terence Stamp version is released at some point. I too don't like the running Cybermen, so will be painting him up as a Cyberleader with the blue chest piece.

      Delete
  6. General Zod, cool stuff, what an imposing figure he makes. Ideal to lead those Cybermen I shouldnt wonder ^^

    Running guys you dont want to be running. Little trick I learned.

    1) take off the front leg and re-pose in a `climbing the stairs` position. Glue and wait to set.

    2) Put a knife slit in the back of the knee on the back leg, straighten.. fill back of knee with cement, and hold/clamp in place while it sets.

    3) pose figure on its base so front leg is placed on a rock (like hes working his way over rough ground).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. Those suggestions would definitely work well on the running Cyberman, as it is indeed an interesting pose...

      Delete
  7. Those Cybermen look brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. They're all done now, so expect at least one Cyber-related posting next week.

      Delete
  8. Nice work on Zod Simon. I think the movie armour design is a hard thing to translate to a nice minis sculpt and paint-job (because it seems so monochrome), but yours has turned out very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. The armour was rather bemusing until the second coat of "Citadel" Nuln Oil, and then it seemed to gain that muted look I thought matched that of the movie.

      Delete
  9. Lovely work on Zod dude. Out of all the DCU stuff they did this set is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I'm a huge General Zod fan, and thought this was a must-buy set as soon as I saw it.

      Delete
  10. slight postponement in our first DW article, as I`ve been sculpting and painting Weeping Angels all day yesterday, and himself now wants me to make some some other statues and tomb stones, before he gets the camera out for the first initial AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the trials and tribulations of running a blog with the other half, Hils? I did visit "The Gamers Cupboard" earlier too, to see whether or not you'd posted yet. Still, anticipation can be good too :-)

      Delete
  11. Bow before Zod and bring the man a beer!

    Love it - he is right out of the film and I don't remember his armour being silver either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. General Zod is one of my fave "Superman" characters, so it was great to get a model of him done, as I don't own a "Heroclix" one sadly.

      Delete