|"I am a soldier, I was bred to receive orders."|
These three 28mm scale "easy-fit plastic" models of a Dalek are made by “Warlord Games” and form part of a twelve-strong force found within the "Doctor Who: Exterminate!" "fast-paced tabletop miniatures game". Conceived by Terry Nation and designed by Raymond Cusick in 1963, these particular sculpts are based upon Henry van Statten's so-called "Metaltron" shell, which first appeared in the April 2005 BBC Television series story "Dalek".
Having previously painted my force's Patrol Leader, Dalek Sec, these three Skaro mutants will provide me with enough miniatures to field one of his faction's two Dalek recruitment cards. These 'bring in three Daleks each' and will ultimately allow me to field seven of the "master race" for the rule-set's introductory scenario "A Meeting Of Metal".
|Necron Raider Objective WIPs - The partially destroyed robot has been thoroughly rusted|
As I dislike playing with unbased figures, and because these models were a little too large for the 30mm lipped bases I have used for the rest of the "Into The Time Vortex" range, the Kaled Mark III travel machines were super-glued onto 40mm lipped circular stands before being primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna. I then gave each Dalek a double coat of Brass, liberally washed them with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, and then gave them a heavy dry-brush of more "Vallejo" Brass.
With the basics finished, I subsequently picked out their eye stalks, control arms and multi-range variable power destructors with some "Citadel" Ironbreaker and Nuln Oil, and additionally painted the Daleks' audio scanners with "Vallejo" White and Pale Grey. As a last touch, I used some "Citadel" Abaddon Black to coat the pepper pots' fenders.
|Gang Fighter WIPs - The Boromite has had his armour, equipment and wiring finished|
As something of a distraction from the world of "Doctor Who" I have been merrily distressing a partially destroyed "Games Workshop" Necron Raider. This old Second Edition "Warhammer 40K" miniature has been based on its side in order for it to represent a battered, rusty objective marker. But has also provided me with an opportunity to try out a colourful Egyptian-theme on part of its metal exo-skeleton before I finish 'weathering it'...
Finally, in order to restore some of my "Beyond The Gates Of Antares" sanity, I have momentarily stepped away from trying to batch paint ten Boromites, and instead simply worked my way up just one of "Warlord Games" science fiction sculpts. Interestingly, this change of pace has worked wonders for my brush speed, and the miniature now only needs to have his grey flesh retouched and washed before being finished.