Sunday 29 January 2017

"Tweak!"

"Twurk!"
This 28mm resin model of Tweak was sculpted for me by the very generous Dave Stone of "Wargames Terrain Workshop" fame, and resultantly can't actually be bought from his company's webstore. A major character in the "Judge Dredd" epic "The Cursed Earth", which ran within the pages of "2000 A.D." from May to October 1978, this brown furry alien would help Mega-City One's toughest Lawman deliver a vaccine for the killer virus 2T(FRU)T to Mega City Two.

Initially primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, the "noble and loyal creature" was heavily washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and subsequently dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna. I then painted his nose, hands and feet with the slightly lighter colour Heavy Brown, before applying a layer of Strong Tone Quickshade over these areas as well.
Shanty Hut WIP - The dwelling has lots of metallic areas yet to paint, as well as its interior
Described by the "Judge Dredd Wiki" as having "large black eyes and a snout", as well as "donkey-like ears and large hands with three large claws", I 'picked out' Tweak's claws with a combination of "Vallejo" White and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, and additionally highlighted his eyes with "Vallejo" Charred Brown and "Citadel" Nuln Oil.

Alongside being a submission for the Seventh Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, Tweak is also my entry into a friendly "Tweak Off!" suggested by (sculptor) Dave. As a result you can see both Dave and Bryan's painted extraterrestrial on "Vampifan's World Of The Undead" and Andy's finished version on "Da Gobbo's Grotto".
Mindless One WIP - The hulking giants all need their red cyclopean eyes tidied up and washed 
Sticking with "Wargames Terrain Workshop" I have started painting the first of four of their fantastically-detailed Post-Apocalyptic Shanty Huts. This dwelling will be submitted into the AHPC Terrain: 'Home' Themed Bonus Round, and also prove a piece of useful scenery for my "Mad Max" project. For now I've simply based the resin model upon an oval 90 x 120mm MDF laser cut base by "Green Stuff World", and started to paint the building's wooden parts...

Lastly, having recently finished painting my "Wizkids" model of the "Marvel Worldwide" super-villain Nightmare, I have started work on seven "Heroclix" Mindless Ones to accompany him. I've actually previously painted two of these towering monsters before, and subsequently ordered some more from "Troll And Toad" as soon as they had more in stock so as to give the evil ruler of a "Dream Dimension" a truly fitting retinue.

34 comments:

  1. Not that I actually know anything about Tweak other than what I've read here, i think you and Dave Stone both did a great job in bringing him to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good work on Tweak, Simon. I've updated your photo and blog link on my own blog.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how your huts turn out. No doubt you'll be using your new rust effect paint on them? It seems such an obvious choice.
    I've never heard of the Mindless One but he does look like an easy figure to paint. Another very eclectic post from you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. much appreciated. There's an incredible amount of detail on the huts - both inside and out, so I doubt I'll get more than one finished in time for the weekend (AHPC submission deadline). I will be using the 'rust'. The Mindless Ones will hopefully be an easy way to rack up some more points on the AHPC, and let me clear some more partially-painted minis I've got loitering on my desk.

      Delete
  3. Tweak looks good Simon! Those huts look excellent, more great work from Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I'm a huge fan of Dave's work as you know, and these huts don't disappoint at all!!

      Delete
  4. What a blast from the past this is! Great work bringing him to life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Tweak turned out great Simon, Hut's are coming along nicely glad you like all the detail ! Hope you can knock through the mindless quickly to get some extra points in AHPC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, and many thanks once again for gifting him to me!! I have a slew of 'quick' minis to keep my AHPC tally going, and so I can paint some of the more time-consuming minis I own.

      Delete
    2. Would one of those more time consuming ones be big and hairy by any chance ?

      Delete
    3. It would indeed Dave. In fact your stuff seems to be increasingly appearing both on my painting table and this blog!! :-)

      Delete
  6. great stuff, the mindless ones will be great when finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. They are formidable looking sculpts to be sure.

      Delete
  7. A very menacing fellow, that Mindless One. Nicely done, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another day. another 'Tweak' and all as good as one another.
    I can't say I'm over-enamoured by 'shanty' towns in PA settings, where are all the brickies, chippies etc. and where does all the corrugated sheeting come from? (kidding on ... a bit).
    Evil masterminds always need mindless minions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. I think the huts are super, and will be using them for "Gamma World" gaming too. You're so right about the mindless minions, though their true master, Dormammu is a bit of a big mini ;-)

      Delete
  9. The Tweak Off was great fun and a truly original miniature to add to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I know Dave has plans for another ;-)

      Delete
  10. Interesting how you've all gone with slightly different colour schemes for Tweak. Not being overly familiar with the character, I can't really comment on which is the most accurate, but he's certainly an unusual model.
    The shanty hut is looking good and I do believe Mr Stone will be receiving some of my money soon, although it will probably be for some of his temple dogs...and maybe some Koi.
    As for the Mindless One, I was discussing these over the weekend, as I was curious to know if they'd appeared in the Dr Strange movie (they don't, apoarently), plus one-eyed 'aliens' have been on my mind, as highlighted in my last post, although mine are Who-related. And no, they're not Monoids...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll be delighted with whatever you purchase, Jez, and Dave's temple dogs are excellent. Will you be going for his new Jade resin versions? I have some Monoids to paint actually...

      Delete
    2. Given their price, I might end up buying both the jade AND normal versions. Can't really have too many temple dogs, after all.
      And I'm not surprised you've got some monoids - I'm sure I'd covet your unpainted Black Tree pile if I saw it. ;-)

      Delete
    3. "I'm sure I'd covet your unpainted Black Tree pile if I saw it." - Yep ;-)

      Delete
    4. And I think I know why you keep misding my posts - my blog is no longer showing on your blog roll. I have similar problems with WordPress on occasion, where it decides to refuse to let me post comments to particular blogs I follow. The wonders of modern technology, eh?

      Delete
    5. How bizarre!?! I've added the URL to my list now, Jez, and commented on your latest posting. Hopefully that'll fix things.

      Delete
  11. Tweak ended up great! All three iterations on the different blogs in fact have been very fun to see.

    The wee hovel is a nice design. It's work okay in a modern setting too, like a homeless shanty type dwelling, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the idea behind them Dai, they would work from modern to post apoc with materials you would find now. The four variations were built by four of the crew so there was a different approach to each one, but based of the same template so you could swap the walls around between the different huts to get more variation

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dai. The 'Tweak Off' was a great idea by Dave, and a corking sculpt too!! I think it would work very well as a homeless shelter - especially if you paint the interior walls blue so they look like plastic sheeting; as Dave has with his site photos.

      Delete
    3. I was thinking of all the variations possible as I put my first two buildings together, Dave. Perhaps another four hut order is in the pipeline ;-)

      Delete
    4. The only one that is pretty locked in is the hut D because of it's angled side walls but a very unique approach to the challenge I thought. The back panel could be swapped with long walls from any of the others though. There is also a couple of the walls that could be used with the internals on the outside on Hut B with a small amount of conversion work. Glad you saw the possibility's Simon

      Delete
    5. I was thinking conversions as soon as I saw them, Dave, especially as I probably need 8-12 for my tabletop!!

      Delete
  12. Nice stuff there Simon, I do love those mindless ones, the last couple you painted very nearly made it into your top ten. I'm surprised Jez hasn't picked up on the fact they would make perfect Dr Who monsters.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I'm a huge fan of the Mindless Ones. They are ruddy expensive over this side of the Pond though, and that's if you can find one. Top Ten, eh!?! ;-)

      Delete