Tuesday 29 November 2016

"...Often Called 'Foo Dogs' In The West..."

"...By the Sixth Century AD they were already popularly depicted as guardian figures."
These two large and characterful 28mm scale resin Chinese Guardian Lions are made by "Wargames Terrain Workshop" and can be purchased from their Oriental Scenery range as a "pair of Temple Dog Statues." Measuring approximately 53mm in length, 28mm in width and 48mm in height, the models were based upon two thin-lipped 50mm circular bases so I can use them as scenery/objective markers for some "Busido" influenced games of "Song Of Blades & Heroes" I have planned.

Initially I did contemplate painting my "Shi" similar to the stone statues recently posted by Andy over on his excellent blog, "Da Gobbo's Grotto". However, in the end I decided to go with a somewhat bright, metallic colour scheme that would not only help the pieces really stand out on my tabletop, but would also give me the opportunity to once again use my current favourite paint - "Citadel" Nihilakh Oxide.
"The lions are traditionally carved from decorative stone, such as marble and granite or cast in bronze or iron."
As a result both models were primed with "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and subsequently treated to a double coat of Brass. The protective idols were then heavily washed with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, before being dry-brushed with more "Vallejo" Brass.

With the basic painting of the imperial guardians finished, I turned my attention to 'weathering' the traditional Chinese monuments by applying plenty of "Citadel" Nihilakh Oxide over the models, and then giving them a second dry-brush of "Vallejo" Brass. Afterwards I undercoated the statues' stone plinths with "Citadel" Abaddon Black, before roughly highlighting it in "Vallejo" Dark Grey and lastly Heavy Bluegrey. As a final touch though I dripped some Strong Tone Quickshade down the sides of the podium to give the faint impression of damp slime, and actually glued some static grass to parts of the stone slab in order to suggest the statues have stood fixed upon their bases for a long time...
Bloodletter WIPs - These Khorne Daemons now need to have their Hellblades painted "Vallejo" Gold
Having unashamedly found myself since August, drawn to some of the "mighty battles" found within the "Age Of Sigmar" rule-set by "Games Workshop", I have slowly been building up a Befouling Host of Nurgle unit by unit, month by month. This current 'motion of the Moon' has seen me attempt to whittle my way through an allied warband of ten Bloodletters. But with December fast approaching I've realised that I needed to somewhat 'step up my pace' in order to finish my Slaughter-kin as planned.

Fortunately I've managed to dedicate a fair portion of my recent hobby-time to both a couple of the remaining Khorne daemons, and the group's Icon Bearer; an impressively tall model which has had to have its base heavily weighted down with lead shot on account of him carrying a formidable-looking "Gore-drenched Icon"... 

34 comments:

  1. Whilst the temple dogs are definitely my favourite ( and I shall be picking some up), I have to admit that i'm warming to the bloodletters. I can imagine one being summoned in a witchfinder type game and rampaging across the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. I've a few finished Bloodletters to post up over the coming weeks, including musician and standard bearer, so hopefully you'll warm up to them even more ;-)

      Delete
    2. I have been thinking along the same lines Jez, Witchfinders or Ghostbusters - both of which need to be revisited before too long.

      Delete
    3. I would send you gents some, but unfortunately I have no spares. But you can buy them (especially the classic metal ones) easily enough on Ebay and in small numbers.

      Delete
  2. I do like WTW stuff. In particular THE DRAGON GRAVEYARD. tHE "dogs" look very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. I've not taken the plunge yet on the Dragon Graveyard. But as you say, it looks awesome, and will certainly fit into a "Frostgrave" setting.

      Delete
  3. WOnderful job on the Foo dogs...love the weathering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. "Citadel" Nihilakh Oxide is my fave paint!!! :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Fran. They were great fun to work on... I may get some others to use as "Frostgrave" scenery.

      Delete
  5. The Chinese Guardian Lions have turned out exceptionally well. Great painting on them, Simon. I do like the colours you've chosen for them. They do look very imposing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. Much appreciated. They've certainly made me dig out my "Bushido" miniatures. But I plan on picking up some more "Wargames Terrain Workshop" Oriental scenery before getting to work on a new genre ;-)

      Delete
    2. Simon try a small start up called Master Crafted Miniatures

      https://mastercrafted.co.uk/product-category/scenery/

      The chap is a particularly nice fellow from down your way who I met at the recent Bushido tournament. Over Black Friday I ordered at least a set of everything in his scenery section as the proceeds went to a cancer charity rather than discounting them. I'm really looking forward to using them in the new Bushido boards I'm planning in the new year.

      Delete
    3. What a fiendish comment Andy, as there's a bit more to "MCM" than just "Bushido" scenery ;-) The Star God and Detective Sayu look awesome for starters!! I especially look forward to seeing you paint up your Spirit Statues, and once I've cleared out "WTW" I'll certainly be revisiting Ben's site.

      Delete
  6. nice job on the temple dogs, I have the Ainsty ones painted red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. Do you have a link to your red ones at all please?

      Delete
    2. Yes please Martin, would love to see these

      Delete
    3. Sadly it would appear from Martin's blog that he only posted the models when he first bought them. Link: http://28mmheroes.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/border-reiver-2015.html

      Delete
  7. Great job on the temple dogs Simon and the bloodletters are progressing nicely. Have always thought the dogs would look great painted up in a jade colour scheme as well just haven't found the time to do them yet.
    Glade you like the graveyard Clint was a fun project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dave. Glad you like them, as they were awesome sculpts imho. I'd certainly like to see them as jade - and a write-up as to how you did it!!! The Dragon Graveyard caught my eye before, and certainly would make a nice centre-piece to a "Frostgrave" battlefield...

      Delete
    2. Thank's Simon he also makes a great base for our zombie dragon as well although a very large one !

      Delete
    3. That's a cracking idea Dave - The zombie dragon is easily my fave of your Myths & Monsters figures.

      Delete
  8. Love the foo dogs mate, brilliant. I got to admit I love using the Nihalak too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. I bought them purely based upon enthusiasm generated by your "Bushido"-obsessed site!! :-)

      Delete
  9. Those dogs are simply brilliant Simon, can a dog make it into your "top ten" again this year I wonder??

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. It wouldn't be your 'Top Ten' without at least one piece of scenery featuring!! I think it was Ben Grimm last year leaning against a lamp-post :-)

      Delete
  10. Very nice work on the foo dogs, well done Simon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Leon. A simple but somewhat time-consuming process, which has turned out well imho.

      Delete
  11. Very nice doggies. They look right out of some Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Hopefully I can paint up some "Bushido" minis in the New Year and get the two statues on the tabletop.

      Delete
  12. nice nice nice niceeeee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tarot. I think they're very nice too :-)

      Delete
  13. The dogs look great for fantasy,(I prefer the traditional ones though) and should fit in well for many things - I immediaelty though t Dungeon guardian statues!
    The blodletter go fromstrength to strength - you must have quite a force of these now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Painting the dogs has certainly helped fuel my interest in "Bushido" and perhaps some "Song of Blades & Heroes" for 2017. The Bloodletters need to comprise of a minimum of 10 figures, so I've a few finished Khorne daemons to post over the next few weeks and then a group shot or two ;-)

      Delete