Sunday 3 July 2016

'Forgotten Heroes' - WIP - Part Four

Warwolf WIPs - Martin Reyna's fur still needs washing and dry-brushing before the anti-hero is finished
With the likes of Roger over at “Rantings From Under The Wargames Table”, Michael at “28mm Victorian Warfare” and Jez at “Carrion Crow’s Buffet” bringing their ‘Forgotten Heroes’ challenge postings to a climatic end, I have feverishly been applying paint, wash and shade to the "Wizkids" figures I have converted into either members of the "Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D." or the bobble-hat wearing goons of “DC Comics” Mister Freeze.

Foremost of these transfigurations has been my miniature of Martin Reyna, a cyber-werewolf who was originally the team leader of S.T.A.K.E. Having picked out Warwolf’s readily-recognisable S.H.I.E.L.D. white boots and belt pouches, I have been busily painting (and washing) his uniform blue trousers and mechanical forearm. In addition I have started ‘picking out’ his numerous grenades before finally turning my attention to the anti-hero’s furry upper body.
Vampire By Night WIPs - Nina Price's wolf-form now just needs her fangs 'picked out' and white fur tidied up
 A model which requires far less time before being finished is my conversion of Vampire By Night. This “Horrorclix” She-Wolf figure merely required a simple re-paint in order to resemble Nina Price in her werewolf form, and having finished both painting her blue costume and inked it, now needs her white fur to be tidied up before I ‘pick out’ her teeth and jaws.

Equally close to completion are some of the five “Heroclix” Lackey figures I have adapted in order to represent the Sixties henchmen of “Mister Freeze”. Having completed these bobble-hatted minions' grey trousers, blue woolly pullovers, hands and crowbars, I am currently in the process of finalising their faces and pom-pom hats. Originally I was planning on simply painting all their hats blue, as seen in the Sixties “Batman” television episode “Instant Freeze”. But I may well now make all the bobbles white instead in order to make the minions stand out a bit more.
Lackey WIPs - Mister Freeze's Goon just needs his eyes to be added and bobble-hat painted to be finished
Lastly my brushwork is working its way up my figure of Manphibian. The extra-terrestrial’s white boots, originally worn by a “Games Workshop” Cadian Trooper, have proved rather problematic to paint “Vallejo” White. But having now finished that stage, and washed them with some Pale Grey, I am making some good ground on the alien’s multi-pouched belt and automatic rifle.

26 comments:

  1. Hi Simon, these are really coming along a pace now, I think we can forgive you for now hitting the end of the month deadline as you have so many of them on the go!

    I've posted this across to the FH site, I hope you don't mind I've retitled it as S.T.A.K.E as if I'd used all the posts called "Forgotten Heroes" then they would all have been called that. (I was very tempted to re-name it "STAKE and chips" but thankfully I resisted temptation, for a change).

    Good stuff keep it up. Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. I'll be posting the finished minis up one by one over the next couple of weeks or so as I like to use a completed mini to headline my articles. I've actually got quite a few more on the go too... But will keep them 'off the grid' for now in case Jez suggests a 'Forgotten Heroes II' in a couple of months time. Many thanks for posting across. Much appreciated; as is your willpower to not go with the "STAKE and Chips" title!!

      Delete
    2. A couple of months! Not sure I can cope with the pressure!

      Delete
    3. Never fear Kaptain Kobold, Jez has already made it clear he's too busy to get us committed to doing a second challenge so soon after the first; unlike his "He-Man" one :-)

      Delete
  2. Great work on these two groups, Simon. I know that your figure of Nina Price is just a repaint but it is amazing how she looks so different to her original colour scheme. She's my favourite out of this lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan. Nina just needs a little bit more work doing to her jaws and should be finished, so hopefully she'll be the first of my completed 'Forgotten heroes' finished posts next weekend. Many thanks for gifting me the mini :-)

      Delete
  3. Coming along well Simon. Good stuff mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PulpCitizen. They're all almost finished now, so this'll be the last of the WIP postings for my 'Forgotten Heroes'. For this batch at least ;-)

      Delete
  4. I love the Niba sculpt but I think Manphibian is still my fave Simon, keep going fella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. These fellas should all be finished and posted over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  5. Very nice work, Simon. I think I agree with Bryan - Nina is my favourite...so far. Probably because she's closest to completion, but I've got a feeling that she may be eclipsed by Manphibian.

    And don't worry about FH2 - I think we should give everyone a chance to recover first! Besides, there's Zomtober, Mo'vember or Dinovember, plus any other 'events' that may crop up in the meantime. I think Forgotten Heroes will be staying as an annual event for present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. This idea of yours was a corker, so I'm delighted to have taken part. Of course there's also "Age of Sigmar" August to come as well... so plenty of events on the horizon ;-)

      Delete
    2. Phew! I was concerned above about another Forgotten heroes too soon after the last. If the next isn't for a year I can get on with playing games instead of all this time-consuming painting and modelling :)

      Delete
    3. Indeed Kaptain Kobold I have a few BatReps I want to post, and all this assembling/painting really cuts into the gaming time!!

      Delete
  6. Your ambition, as always, is breathtaking - looking forward to seeing them finished though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. These have been a blast to put together and paint. Hopefully you'll enjoy the finished products too.

      Delete
  7. Some cracking work started there Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. These have proved somewhat more time-consuming than I imagined. But they just need a lick of paint here and there now.

      Delete
  8. Great looking group, Simon. Manphibian rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Finch. Manphibian does seem to be the most popular of my 'Forgotten Heroes'.

      Delete
  9. Werewolf with a sports bustenhalter - well at least you made me smile !
    The joker thug looks excellent btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. The She-Wolf was a very much appreciated "Horrorclix" gift by Bryan which fitted the bill for Vampire By Night perfectly :-)

      Delete
  10. I really do like that Manphibian...and the others are coming along nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. Hopefully the group will look the business once they're all finished.

      Delete
  11. She-Wolf has a sportsbra but no sports panties? To distract her opponents all the more eh?! :)

    Nice painting mate. The classic Shield uniforms are up there with the classic Punisher as being silly for me where the white aspects are concerned, but it's fun to see them be highlighted again for old times sakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai :-) Vampire-By-Night is now finished and should be posted tomorrow. A terrific sculpt imho!! I love the classic S.H.I.E.L.D. costumes - although painting all these white straps and belt pouches is enough to drive me insane at times.

      Delete