Friday 8 July 2016

"Bite Me."

"Perhaps This Will Speed Things Up!"
This 28mm pre-painted plastic model of a She Wolf is by “Wizkids” and can be bought as number 082 from their “Horrorclix” Freakshow range. Originally produced as an ‘enticing’ werewolf, I have reposed the miniature, courtesy of a new paintjob, in order for it to represent the Howling Commando of S.H.I.E.L.D. Nina Price, a.k.a. Vampire By Night. Co-created by Jeff Parker and Federica Manfredi, the niece of Jack Russell has “the ability to become either a werewolf or a vampire between dusk and dawn”, and first appeared in the September 2005 issue of “Amazing Fantasy”.

Initially undercoated with “Vallejo” White the model was subsequently washed with Pale Grey before being dry-brushed with more White. The lycanthrope’s top was then painted using a combination of Heavy Blue and “Citadel” Asurmen Blue. Finally I ‘picked out’ the anti-hero’s fangs with “Vallejo” White and discoloured them with a touch of “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade. I did consider additionally applying some Abaddon Black to the creature’s nose, as per its original paintjob. But as I rather liked the all-white finish to her muzzle I have left it be… for now at least.
The Human Torch WIPs - (i) Orange & Red wash, (ii) Orange dry-brush and (iii) Ochre dry-brush
Following on from Nina Price, I have been slowly building up the fiery layers to a (second) “Heroclix” model of the Human Torch. Initially entirely composed of a clear orange-tinted plastic, I was actually rather tempted to simply re-base the miniature and leave it at that. But having recently completed a partially burning Johnny Storm, I thought I would try and paint a version of the Fantastic Four founding member that was completely alight.

As a result this model, which is somewhat disconcertingly larger than his predecessor in scale, has been completely repainted with “Vallejo” Heavy Orange, washed with red ink, and then with dry-brushed Heavy Orange and Heavy Ochre. All that now remains is to carefully pick out more of the flames and details (such as his ‘4’ symbol) with more Heavy Ochre, and the figure should be finished.
Re-basing The Undead - All of these models' all-black weapons and boots have been repainted
Lastly I am still re-painting some of my old collection of “Copplestone Castings”. These three well-armed Zeds are from their Code FW23 Zombie Trooper and have all had numerous areas ‘blocked in’, so I can apply some additional washes to the figures. A couple of these metal miniatures were also unfortunately damaged during my re-basing process, so discoloured feet, boots and the occasional trouser leg have all been tidied up at the same time.

Ordinarily I’m not that big a fan of the Undead carrying automatic weapons. But plan to use these cadavers, along with some additional “Future Wars” blisters, to help me populate a rather macabre -looking tabletop inspired by the 2015 “Mad Max: Fury Road” motion picture; a project I have recently added a couple of armoured vehicles to, courtesy of “North Star Military Figures” recently advertising Mark Copplestone’s 1/55th scale vehicles.

26 comments:

  1. Simon the human torch sculpt is excellent! The werewolf is a lovely fig too and what can I say about those zeds...cracking stuff!M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. The Human Torch sculpt is definitely growing on me the more I add to its flames and detail, and I'm pleased how different Vampire By Night looks to the original pre-painted model Bryan so kindly gifted me with. As for the zombies, well they'll soon be finished now I've started to wash over their block colours and properly base them.

      Delete
  2. I love them all, Simon. Great figures and all well painted.

    Changing subjects, will you be publishing any more posts for The Brown Bag and Mooretoons? They've both gone very quiet recently. As have you, as I notice you don't comment on other blogs as much as you used to. I do hope all is well with you. I do miss your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bryan, and thanks one again for sending me the She-Wolf model in the first place. Hopefully I've done her justice.

      I will be publishing more "Mooretoons" and comic reviews on "The Brown Bag" just as soon as I get the time. Both these and painting minis are my three main hobbies. But currently I have only the free time for one, and as you've noted even that is suffering my usual involvement. Indeed I'm down to just two postings a week currently. Things should improve in about a month or so's time, and then I am hopeful I'll be able to get properly back into the swing of things :-)

      Delete
  3. Nice progress on the zombies troopers. Cracking models. I love the Human Torch mini he is progressing very nicely indeed. The She-wolf is awesome really like the white fur look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. This month is all about clearing the painting table, in order for a two-month long dedicated project I hope will take me up to Zomtober!!

      Delete
  4. I really like that Human Torch figure, I can think of a few great uses for him immediately! likewise that werewolf fig, for some reason today she struck me as only needing a full "ripped" dress adding in greenstuff and she'd make a smashing horror game figure, perhaps a formal suit on the torch as well? Oh you've got me thinking now...perhaps I shouldn't have come here directly from Mr Awdry's which finder post!

    Cheers Roger. (P.S. I'll post the FH portion of this over to the site in a while)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I wasn't terribly aware of the "Horrorclix" range until Bryan kindly introduced them to me, and have subsequently bought more than a few for future 'horror' projects. Greenstuff, or rather Greystuff (in my books) is your forte though, not mine. So I try to keep any additional conversions of my minis to a minimum ;-) The Human Torch model looks so much better painted than clear coloured plastic (imho) as you can really see the sculpt's detail, so I'm glad its going down so well. Adding Vampire-By-Night to the 'Forgotten heroes' site will be much appreciated, my friend :-)

      Delete
  5. Splendid! The lot of them...though the Human Torch looks especially brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. Johnny Storm's model has certainly taken me by surprise by its popularity.

      Delete
  6. Okay, so my mind's going "it's a werewolf in a sports bra - where are her shorts?", which is immeditely followed by "Don't care - it's awesome anyway." Lovely work on Vampire by Night, Simon. I did have a rummage to see if I could find those copies of Amazing Fantasy, as I was sure I did, but so far I haven't found them. Did uncover my copy of Super-Soldier: Man of War though, which I thought I'd lost, so that's a win for me.

    I'm also liking this version of the Torch as well, and can't wait to see him finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez, glad you like Nina. The grey wash and dry-brush have really brought out all the sculpt's detail imho. Good news about Super-Soldier though as that is a classic issue, and my fingers are crossed for "Amazing Fantasy" :-)

      Delete
  7. Very nice work on the Howling Commando - she looks excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nina Price is one of your best, Simon. A straightforward paint-scheme, very well executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Finch. Her all-white fur should certainly make her stand out on the tabletop!!

      Delete
  9. She is superb Simon, bravo Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. A nice and simple re-paint imho.

      Delete
  10. Can't say I'm enamoured by armed zombies, but there are setting where they'd fit perfectly (Fallout springs to mind) and you've done a great job on them.
    Hard to say whether I like the 'new' flame or not, but it is a great sculpt.
    The sporting werewolf still makes me smile btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. Still a bit of work to do on my armed Zeds and second Johnny Storm. Glad you like Nina though. She's one of my fave "Horrorclix" minis.

      Delete
  11. White nose looks just fine. good job.

    Armed zombies are just regular zombies who forgot how to drop their weapons. No biggie and certainly no need to make them shoot the guns if you don't want. Use them as clubs instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I'm certainly going to be sticking with the white nose on Nina for now. As for the armed zeds, I'm actually toying with the idea that they're humans wearing human skins (as per the Whisperers in "The Walking Dead" comic).

      Delete
    2. Aw crap - you mentioned that ages ago. Yes, then, humans in skins. Ew. :)

      Delete
    3. No worries my friend. I've posted a few articles since then ;-)

      Delete
  12. I love the work you've done above. The Werewolf in sports bra may even be suitable for my fledgling Necromantic Bloodbowl team. Can you advise on scale?
    The human torch is really coming along. i've always been useless at blending.
    I agree with the comments on `armed' zombies but I've always approached that thought on two levels. Firstly there are only so many unarmed zombie waving arms around positions you can do.Secondly is is not beyond the realms of possibility that a zombie may just aimlessly wander around with a gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil. Glad you like Vampire By Night. The mini should fit in with any 28mm minis, as she's crouching a bit too. I aim to do a group shot of all the Howling Commandos once I've finished the last couple. I like your thinking around guns and zeds, and they definitely may well wander about with one. Hope you liked the finished Human Torch too?

      Delete