Tuesday 24 May 2016

"My Whole Body's Changing. Look At My Arm. Get Me To A Hospital, Please."

"Nurtured. You don't mean to say you've been feeding him?"
This 28mm metal model of a Failed Experiment Scientist is from code SKU: 25 by “Crooked Dice Game Design Studio”. The figure is one of several miniatures I have painted so as to represent the Krynoid-infected staff of eccentric botanist Harrison Chase, from the 1976 British Science Fiction television serial "Doctor Who And The Seeds Of Doom". 

This particular figure has been assembled and painted in order to represent the millionaire's hapless plant scientist Arnold Keeler. Accidentally contaminated by the carnivorous extra-terrestrial life-form when he was supervising a fiendish experiment upon Sarah Jane Smith, my version of the mild-mannered underling has yet to fully transform into the adult "galactic weed", so has had a set of the company's Failed Experiment Heads and Arms pinned to its torso.

"Dear Arnold" was initially undercoated with "Vallejo" White before his trousers and Seventies kipper tie were painted using a combination of Charred Brown and “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade. The brilliant researcher's laboratory coat was then given a heavy wash of "Vallejo" Pale Grey. The garment was then suitably 'dirtied' by the haphazard application of "Citadel" Thrakka Green, Carroburg Crimson and more Strong Tone Quickshade.
"I need medical attention! Look at me."
The plant-zombie's formidable claw was painted using Vallejo “Heavy Grey”, Heavy Red, “Citadel” Thrakka Green, Carroburg Crimson and Strong Tone Quickshade. This menacing vegetable growth, along with his facial disfigurement and rupturing shoulder, were then dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Heavy Grey. The one-time human’s flesh was painted predominantly using Heavy Skintone washed with some watered down “Citadel” Reikland Fleshshade.

This (second) 28mm metal model of a Failed Experiment Minion is from code SKU: 26 by “Crooked Dice Game Design Studio” and along with Arnold Keeler, actually concludes my (badly overun) Zomtober 2015 “Doctor Who And The Seeds of Doom” project. The figure has been assembled in order to portray one of Harrison Chase's luckless Security Guards, and was painted in a similar manner to the misguided scientist, apart from his“Vallejo” Heavy Blue and "Citadel" Nuln Oil overalls.
Apprentice WIPs - The magic-user simply needs some washes and face-paint before being finished
Having finished the final two minions for my "Doctor Who And The Seeds Of Doom" project, I have started to make some serious headway on the last of my Witch's warband for "Frostgrave". This single-cast metal miniature by "North Star Military Figures" costs 200 gold pieces in the game, and like his magical master I've tried to keep the Apprentice's colour scheme as close to the rule-book's illustration in order to do him justice.

This has meant slowly working my way up the figure, picking out his numerous wolf-pelts, purple tunic and leggings, red waist sash, and Polar Bear skin headdress. All of which have taken time and patience to 'pick out', ink and highlight. In addition, having reached the top of the lesser-wizard's staff, I have realised that my model is badly miscast as the wooden stave seems to have somehow partially melted into the side of the Apprentice's head; as opposed to being completely free of the animal hide.    

24 comments:

  1. Good to have finish a project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Martin. This month was all about bringing closure to some projects, and these have been sat around half-painted for far too long.

      Delete
  2. Now that you have finished painting the last (hopefully!) of your "Doctor Who and the Seeds of Doom" figures, does this mean we can expect a batrep featuring them soon? Assuming these were your last two figures for this project, you must be delighted to have finally finished them all.

    Looking at your Frostgrave mage with his polar bear skin head dress and cloak, I was reminded of another figure. But who? And then it struck me - the Deeproot Druid for Super Dungeon Explore. Check out this post here to see what I mean -
    http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/sde-heroes-03.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Seeds of Doom" won't be too far away Bryan, though I still have some "Mantic" scenery to finish first. But as you say, I'm very pleased the minis are finally done.

      I know precisely which SDE mini you're referring to, as alongside his fearsome alter-ego, the Druid is sat in my painting queue as I type ;-)

      Delete
  3. Yaay! That excellent feeling of completion mixed with slightly deflated at finishing a project. I love it, now let's see them in action, you must be itching to get the good doctor investigating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I'm certainly very pleased the minis are done - as I've a load more I want to paint for this year's Zomtober :-) I'm also very eager to get the BatRep going at long last. Just some "Mantic" walls and fences to paint first.

      Delete
  4. Good to see that the Seeds of Doom is still rumbling on, I may have to re-watch the episodes in anticipation of a game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumbling on and now finished I'm delighted to say, Michael. I actually watch this particular series at least once a month (or rather listen to it), as its one of my faves. As to the BatRep, well its not far away now...

      Delete
  5. Oooh! Last figs for Seeds of Doom done! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. I'm glad this project is finally coming to an end tbh.

      Delete
  6. Crooked dice has some great sculpts, that look even better when painted. Good Job mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheer Clint. "Crooked Dice" produce some corking sculpts imho, and as you say, they paint up very nicely indeed.

      Delete
  7. Yay! The Seeds of Doom is imminent! I have to say that it's one of my favourite stories from that era - actually anything from Tom Baker's run is fine by me, although i do have a soft spot for The Talons of Weng-Chiang...
    Congratulations on your near completion. Not long to Forgotten Heroes now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez. Shouldn't be too much longer a wait for the "Seeds Of Doom" BatRep my friend. Glad you like Tom Baker's era, you should enjoy my next "Doctor Who" project then... "The Pyramids Of Mars" ;-)

      Delete
  8. Pyramids of Mars is one of my fav's too along with Robot and Keeper of Traken. Nice to see the end of your Seeds of Doom project is now in sight. Shame about the dodgy cast on you apprentice, doesn't really show up much though.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. The flaw in my Apprentice's casting isn't that obvious imho, apart form a somewhat bent staff. But as I didn't even spot it until towards the end of my painting, I did think it probably wouldn't show too much.

      Delete
  9. Strange, looks like my comment didn't publish. :(

    They look great Simon, nice impressive additions. :)

    You must have quite the collection of Seeds of Doom stuff by now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PulpCitizen. It did publish but you commented on my "AvB7" BatRep posting not this one - hence my response is there :-)

      Delete
  10. Love the stains on Chase's lab coat. Bravo on the finished piece though, one of the better plant-ridden fellows.

    Apprentice is coming along very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. Good to have got Keeler's coat finally finished, as all that white was definitely off-putting. The Apprentice is now finished too. Just got to flock his snowy base and I'll be posting up some pics.

      Delete
  11. Great work all around, Simon. Especially like the apprentice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch. Hopefully you'll like the Apprentice now he's done. Lots of washes and a little dry-brushing to bring out the Polar Bear Headdress.

      Delete
  12. Sweet job on them both dude! They look great! I must get around to buying some of these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. Glad you like them. Zomtober 2015 seems like an eternity ago now ;-)

      Delete