Friday 29 January 2016

"Project OMAC Complete."

"The skies darken with the corrupted technology of his mentor."
These eight 28mm plastic “Wizkids” models of an OMAC are all miniature number 83 from the DC Comics “Heroclix” Collateral Damage range. These cyborgs were some of the many humans transformed by a virus into living machines in order to destroy all beings with superpowers. The OMACs were created by American comic book writer Greg Rucka, having been based upon a Jack Kirby character with the same name, and first appeared in “The OMAC Project” in June 2005.

To cover the miniatures' pre-painted colour scheme each figure was initially given an undercoat of “Vallejo” Gunmetal Blue before being washed with “Citadel” Nuln Oil. The Cape-killer’s were then slowly dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Gunmetal Blue before their cyclopean eye was painted using a combination of Heavy Red and “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson. Their chest eyes were simply ‘picked out’ with “Vallejo” White before also being washed with the “Citadel” shade Carroburg Crimson.
"Annihilation Protocol Status - Engaged..."
These figures are incredibly difficult to buy in the United Kingdom, so in order for me to create myself a sizeable gang of Brother Eye’s minions I ended up ordering these eight models from the American E-Store Troll And Toad...

In addition to these wonderfully sinister sculpts, and sticking with "Wizkids" miniatures, I am almost 'done' painting the “Heroclix” model of Molly Hayes which I hope to submit into the Defensive Terrain Themed Bonus Round of the Sixth Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge.
Molly Hayes WIP - Having completed the mutant child's clothing, I now need only paint the concrete block
Having based and painted a trio of passing ducklings from the figure's original 'clicky base' separately, and completed Princess Power's pink T-shirt, cuddly animal hat and flesh, I need only 'touch up' and wash the large piece of grey concrete she is holding above her head for my small 'vignette' to be finished. 

26 comments:

  1. Those OMAC figures look quite creepy. very simple but effective paint jobs on them, Simon. I really like how you've painted Molly Hayes. It's good to see you being so busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. The OMACs were well worth tracking down across the Pond imho, and should look rather striking on the tabletop. Molly has been quite fun to paint, despite that concrete being a real pain to paint under!!

      Delete
  2. I admit I haven't a clue who are the OMACs or Molly Hayes, but they're decen figures made better by you brushwork. I do feel sorry for poor Molly though having to luh that slab of concrete around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. No need to worry about Molly, she really is incredibly super-strong, and getting more powerful as she gets older.

      Delete
  3. I love the bluish silvered carapace of the OMACs Simon, makes them look so slick and sinister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. They are great models and the "Vallejo" Gunmetal Blue is a terrific colour to use.

      Delete
  4. They look great together Blaxkleric. :)

    I thought the OMAC's were a nice idea but ultimately went nowhere which seems to have been DC's MO for far too long on work not by the likes of Johns, Snyder et al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers PulpCitizen. I too thought the OMACs were a cracking idea, as you could have them springing up from time to time causing the capes all kinds of problems. "DC Comics" is in real trouble currently, and the fact they're supposedly rebooting their entire line again this Summer - The New New 52!?! - doesn't bode well imho.

      Delete
  5. The OMACs look great but Molly Hayes is just superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. Very happy with how Molly is turning out :-)

      Delete
  6. Superb! Really looking forward to seeing your defensive terrain piece completed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Its a simple entry but I wanted to try and get the majority of my points achieved by the end of February, so I can concentrate on a load (more) Pulp minis towards the end of the AHPC.

      Delete
  7. Those OMAC's are superb Simon I love the original test one you did last year and they look even better as a group!

    Molly is great too, nice work on her pink shirt and hat.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Roger. Much appreciated, as was the very generous package I received this morning :-) I must post your SJS and friends. Just waiting for some black ink to dry on Molly, and she should be ready for varnishing.

      Delete
    2. Wow they got there quick only posted them yesterday afternoon! Had a couple of orders pending so wated till I could post them all at once (and it was the first chance I had to get to the post office when it was open!)

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. Clearly the Postie knew I was eager to paint them up!!! :-)

      Delete
  8. Lovely colours on those cyborgs. That gunmetal blue looks superb - might have to see if Pendraken have some at York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. Definitely one of my fave colours!!

      Delete
  9. Wow those look ace dude! Love the Molly Hayes figure as well. Will have to do some research as not heard of her before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Molly Hayes is reasonably new to the "Marvel Universe". But already rather popular.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, Shiny! Nice work on your OMACs, Simon. If you want an effective tale of capes being targeted by a superpowered 'police force' in the DC universe, Alan Davis' JLA: The Nail is what you want. And Molly is certainly growing on me - looks like Wizkids have finally managed to sculpt a properly sized child figure, as opposed to the woeful Power Pack sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. I will have a look for "J:A: The Nail" as anything by Alan Davis is usually a big hit with me. I don't think I own any of the Power Pack "Heroclix" sculpts for precisely that reason - big boots and heads!

      Delete
    2. I've been a fan of Alan Davis since his first Captain Britain strips, through Excalibur and on to Clan Destine. The JLA: The Nail miniseries and it's sequel Another Nail allowed him to play in the DC sandbox without any restrictions and let him draw whatever characters he wanted. Both very good stories and superb artwork, as expected.

      Delete
    3. Me too Jez. I even went out and bought "Savage Hulk" and "Captain Britain And The Mighty Defenders" simply because he was the artist. I review both series on my comic review blog here if you;re interested: http://thebrownbagaeccb.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  11. Omac's look great! Intimidating group for sure.

    You've done a fine job with Molly too. Love that you did her eyes on the hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I actually only went with the eyes on the hat, as opposed to Molly herself as I found the pre-paint quite confusing to look at with both sets of eyes painted. I thought it'd be fun for an onlooker to be drawn to the hat rather than the powerful child underneath :-)

      Delete