Tuesday 12 January 2016

"Guardbots Are Still Efficient Killers Of Organic Threats."

"Many of these security machines still defend Ancient installations..."
This 48mm tall single-piece metal automaton was made by “Reaper Miniatures” and comes from their “Chronoscope” Code 50063 Jeeves, Clockwork Robot. Sculpted by Jason Wiebe and released on June 4th 2009, I did find the ‘mechanical butler’ to have a pair of rather fragile arms, so ended up (protectively) placing his right pincer hand down to one side.
"Bezerk Android[s]."
The model was initially given an undercoat of “Vallejo” Gunmetal Grey and subsequently washed with “Citadel” Nuln Oil.  It was then dry-brushed with more “Vallejo” Gunmetal Grey and had its joints heavily dabbed with “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade in order to represent the wear and tear of its daily chores. Once dry, the entire miniature was given a highlight of “Citadel” Ironbreaker and ‘spotted’ with some watered-down “Vallejo” Copper. I then applied some more Strong Tone Quickshade to each of these ‘rusty’ areas and dry-brushed them with “Citadel” Ironbreaker so they blended with the surrounding metalwork. 
"Androids litter the ruins of Gamma Terra in various states of repair, form... [and] ability..."
Finally, as I wanted to break up the all-silver look to this “Gamma World” mechanical servant I picked out his lower left leg, one of his pincers, his large central chest screw and face plate with “Vallejo” Bronze. These areas were then washed with Strong Tone Quickshade before I painted his eyes with a combination of “Vallejo” Dark Vermillion and “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson.
"Gamma World" Fist-Fist Fight - But Geroge Foreman didn't fancy his and Jeeves' chances...
 In addition to finishing Jeeves, I have also managed to paint eight more Cyber-Reavers by “Reaper Miniatures” and now have a small force of sixteen berserk androids for my “Gamma World” post-apocalyptic tabletop.

26 comments:

  1. A formidable lot of androids! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon. Very happy with how these have all come out.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work dude. They will make good adversaries for 7TV as well. I really like the collective picture as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I plan to convert "Gamma World" into "7TV", so there should be plenty of BatReps coming. Thought people would like the group shot. Wouldn't want to be George or Jeeves!!

      Delete
  3. Really should get some robots. These are fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. The Cyber-Reavers are a little expensive and fragile imho. But they've certainly proved popular and are very nice/simple paint-jobs.

      Delete
  4. Horde'o'bots.

    Scary! (But they look great!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now at last I can see the circular saw hand of Jeeves and how cool it is too! Also, I didn't realise how tall he was. I'm sure I could find a use for him in a Judge Dredd game as a rich man's combination butler/bodyguard.

    Have you bought the second edition 7TV boxed set yet? The more I read about, the more my willpower is wilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeeves is a very nice model indeed Bryan, so I'm glad you like him. I think he'd make a very good butler/bodyguard in "Judge Dredd". I do indeed already own the "7TV" boxed set. But I've not yet had a chance to settle down and go through it - too busy painting!! :-)

      Delete
  6. Just the right amount of variety in the metal surfaces. Top drawer.

    Seen edge-on, I mistook Jeeves' saw-hand for a cigarette holder at first. The saw blade makes much more sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch. Much appreciated. A few people have commented upon Jeeves' cigar, and from certain angles it does indeed look like one. I was tempted to cover the saw blade in a little blood. But then thought it'd make him too gory and besides, in my head at least, most of the creatures inhabiting "Gamma World" would have green blood.

      Delete
  7. Initially i was sceptical about the inclusion of a 'normal' boxer in the Gamma World landscape, but upon reflection, a swarm of not-terminators, their empty guns clicking away, being smashed up by George and Jeeps has the sort of imagery you'd expect to see in films like Sucker Punch. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. What I most liked about the fluff of "Gamma World" was the merger of all these different worlds/universes, so literally anything seemingly goes. I have a few more odd 'survivor's coming for my party, but hope to have George and Jeeves in a BatRep posted soon.

      Delete
  8. More excellent bots, especially the butler. :)

    Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracking stuff Simon, you're really rattling off the mini's now! Jeeves is a smashing model, as are the "Not" terminators.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roger. I've a lot of table space to clear having been so busy prepping and priming over the past month for the AHPC. Plus there are loads of new minis I want, so in line with my New Year's Resolution I'm trying to stick to painting 3 minis for every 1 new model I want to buy.

      Delete
  10. I've been looking forward to seeing this one completed, such a great model. Good idea to protect the weaknesses in the sculpt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I do always look at my models as gaming pieces rather than works of art, so am happy to reach such compromises on sculpts' poses. Wait til you see my Darth Vader...

      Delete
  11. All those metal 'monsters' look ace. you;ll have quite the few different types of robotic 'cyber' types now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. A few more "Gamma World" cyber-related minis to come. But this is the last batch of Cyber-Reavers I own... for now at least ;-)

      Delete
  12. A butler with pincers and a circular saw! Whatever will they think of next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh. The "Chronoscope" range of "Reaper Miniatures" is simply packed full of the weird and wonderful, as I think you know ;-)

      Delete
  13. I could have sworn that I'd already commented on this post but here goes again.
    Everyone loves robots don't they ? I peased to see that you've left in their original metal livery with only one or two bit of colour - they look far more menacing that way imo.
    With a force like this someone's got their work cut out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe. This is the second batch of Cyber-Reavers I've painted and posted recently, so perhaps that's why you're experiencing deja-vu ;-) I must confess to being rather pleased with the way the force has turned out though, as you;re quite right, they're going to be tough opposition :-)

      Delete