Sunday 23 August 2015

"No One Knows Where He Came From..."

"Why did he take up the mantle of a Guild Ball Captain?"
This 28mm metal miniature of Blackheart is from The Union Starter Set for “Guild Ball” and is made by “Steamforged Games Limited”. It comes in several pieces so required some considerable supergluing, and later pinning, before I could finish painting him. Indeed the dynamic sculpt was truly a burden to paint and on several occasions I found my paintbrush struggling to reach some of the especially difficult areas hidden beneath the character’s sword-arm.

As the model’s main ‘kit colour’ was going to be red, I undercoated the entire piece with “Vallejo” Heavy Red before picking out his arm and leg armour with some Gunmetal Grey. This metallic acrylic produces a rather well-worn effect once washed with “Citadel” Nuln Oil, so was perfect for implying that the star player’s gear had been used for many a match. For the more ‘showy’ silver areas of Blackheart’s costume, such as the clips of his cloak, the front of his padded vest, his chain-links, and formidable sword blade, I used the “Citadel” Layer Ironbreaker instead.
Mister Freeze WIP - The "DC Comics" villain now needs part of his armour painted silver
For the player’s main leatherwear I applied a combination of “Vallejo” Heavy Sienna and “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade. For the skipper’s bicep leatherwork however I went and used the darker “Vallejo” Charred Brown instead. Finally I applied a wash of Strong Tone Quickshade over all the remaining “Vallejo” Heavy Red areas, and tried to ensure the ‘ink’ pooled in the hard to reach recesses so as to cover over any mistakes.

Whilst desperately trying to resist the temptation to chuck my central midfielder miniature out the window, I have also been working away on my ever increasing collection of “Heroclix” models. Having previously washed Mister Freeze with black shade I have now not only finished dry-brushing him but have managed to undercoat the areas of his suit which will be silver in colour. I’ve also started working on the white layers for his ‘frosted’ helmet.
"Wizkids" WIPs - All three of these models are actually close to completion
In addition I have been ‘picking away’ at my miniatures of Wildcat and the Joker. The Clown Prince of Crime is especially detailed and colourful, but should soon be finished once these tiny areas, such as his shirt, tie and flower, have been washed with ink.

Lastly I have been spending a considerable portion of my time trying to finish off the plethora of “DC Comics” characters I own. But having spent a so long concentrating on the minute details upon figures, I thought this “Wizkids” sculpt of the Silver Surfer from “Marvel Worldwide” would prove an easy distraction; once I’d drilled it so as to utilise one of lovely  transparent flight stands by “Moongoose Publishing” that is.

20 comments:

  1. Simon, I can feel your relief at finally finishing Blackheart. You've been on quite a journey with him. Still, the end result looks good. Your 4 WIP figures are so close to finishing that hopefully next time you show them they will be completed. Good work all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan, even at the end the mini refused to be finished and for some bizarre reason started to flake its paint off on the tip of the sword blade - which required another repaint, wash, dry-brush and varnish!! Argh....

      Actually I've suddenly got something of a problem of loads of finished minis to post, as well as BatReps (Aliens vs Imperial Guard and Crimson Fist Space Marines in 15mm) and my finished Gotham City High Rise... which I plan to use for a Sunday BatRep posting regardless of anything else. Plus a load of new Projects to boot :-)

      Delete
    2. Having too much material to post is, in my opinion, always a good thing. I don't see it as a problem at all, my friend.

      Delete
    3. Very true Bryan. I get the impression with your vast Zombie Horde that its a situation you regularly encounter ;-)

      Delete
  2. The advantage of having too much to show us, Simon, means that we've always got something to read and admire. Nice work as usual - let's just hope that when you play a game with you Guildball captain, he doesn't start (literally) falling to pieces on the pitch!
    And my experiments with a plain background proved unsuccessful, but I think I've (finally) managed to work out how to take a decent pic with my 'phone. If you haven't already paid a visit this weekend, it might be worth a look, just for giant chicken...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jez. The only thing I'm certain is that his head shouldn't fall off as its seriously pinned onto that body!!! I thought your background with the fencing worked well for your photos, and I could certainly see the models clearly as a result. Big thumbs up for the giant chicken - which for those reading these comments can be found here: https://carrioncrowsbuffet.wordpress.com/2015/08/23/a-fistful-of-yen/

      Delete
  3. That is a serious piece of weaponry Blackheart is wielding! Great job Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Sadly I don't like either the weapon or the model tbh. It hardly seems to be sporting to be carrying so formidable a blade into a game of football ;-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Gordon. Glad to get him finished with tbh.

      Delete
  5. So you've finally finished Blackheart eh' what a pain in the bum, he turned out to be! I'm not a fan of multipart figures, I know sometimes you need to multipart something as it would be un-castable other wise, but I prefer one piece casting where available.

    I know as wargamers we all tend to be "butterflies" flitting from project to project, but it's nice to see some of your figures finally coming together.

    Keep it up, Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger. Much appreciated, though I don't know what you could possibly mean about me flitting :-) Plenty of new projects being based and primed btw!!!

      I'm delighted to have finished Blackheart and now just have a handful more to go before my "Guildball" team is completed. Perhaps I'll do annual postings on my progress ;-)

      Delete
    2. No, your better off waiting till you have something to show us.

      (You set em' up, and I'll knock em' down)

      Cheers Roger.

      Delete
    3. Either that or just post endlessly about different-sized ships being painted the same colours ;-) Meoowwww

      Delete
  6. OOOOWWWW! handbags at dawn eh!

    You might not to see Saturdays postings then. (LOL)

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice job Bk! He came out great.
    Your production rate has certainly increased dude! All those WIP's are coming along nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Just glad he's done tbh :-) Definitely back in the painting groove at present, and slowly ploughing through my backlog. I hope to do the same in September as well before Zomtober, so hopefully there's plenty more postings to come.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations with sticking with the figure. It looks good now fully painted, and I only hope it performs well in-game to warrant your time and patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. I was a little disappointed by his abilities on the pitch when I first used him. But in a couple of later games he has literally chopped his way through the opposition. I'm hoping I can hold of the alternative KS variant at some point and then I might like the character a bit more.

      Delete