Wednesday 6 May 2015

Painting Challenge 2015: Fortnight Three - 15mm Prydian Army By "The Ion Age"

Rogue Trader WIPs - Having applied a blue undercoat I've starting picking out the metallic areas with black
This fortnight’s personal painting challenge is to complete seven 15mm models. Something of a big ask in many respects as I currently own quite a few different ranges (and genres) in this scale. However one manufacturer I have been regularly buying from for the past couple of years but not actually painting all that much of, has been "The Ion Age". So I've selected a handful more of Gavin Syme's wonderfully sculpted Prydian Army infantry miniatures.

As long time followers of this blog will know last year I started to paint up some of this range's Retained Knights as 'Rogue Trader Era' Crimson Fist Space Marines. Having previously painted some regular 'Adeptus Astartes' for this Company of the Imperium, as well as a Sergeant and Heavy Weapon Team, I thought I'd fill it out a bit more with an additional stand or three of basic power-armoured defenders of Humanity.
Vehicular Support WIPs - These resin Heavy Lifters will have yet to even be based and undercoated 
In addition I thought I'd try and start working on some vehicles for my Crimson Fist Army, so have opened a few packets of resin combat lifters. These really are great-looking models which come with a variety of turret mounts; my favourite being the twin Anda Missile Pods. I've even found I own a vehicle conversion pack, which contains some additional white metal parts to add to my vehicles, such as stowage, driver and extra weaponry.
Primarch WIPs - I've added a pair of plastic "Games Workshop" wings to my model of Sanguinius
Finally as an enormous fan of the Horus Heresy, the devastating Space Marine civil war which almost cost the Emperor of Mankind his life, I based a couple of 28mm miniatures from "The Ion Age" to represent the traitorous Warmaster himself, Horus Lupercal and one of his opponents Sanguinius. As a result I hope at some point to paint up two more Space Marine forces to represent the Sons of Horus and the Blood Angels in order to wargame a 'fictional' Battle of Terra.

12 comments:

  1. These figures are a real blast from the past for me as I own them all, albeit in 28mm scale. I recognised your Pyrdian infantry straight away. I also have your "Primarchs," again in 28mm, but I don't own those vehicles you showed. I look forward to seeing how you paint this lot so I can compare your colour schemes with my own. By the way, my guys had nothing to do with WH40K but were part of a covert organisation known as the Star Knights, a force for good in my old Space Opera campaign. I recently reviewed a couple of werewolves from this same range. I did like these figures a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I'm absolutely delighted you have these minis as I think they are superb, and I know Gavin Symes who produces them is very keen to ensure the 28mm range is replicated in 15mm along with new sculpts. I have a tonne of this stuff ready to be painted, ranging from resin stations, air-pads and laboratories, tanks and flyers. I just need to find the room on the painting table. But hopefully this will get me painting some over the next couple of weeks, and of course, they'll be a Batrep at the end of it :-)

      I did visit your blog to see if I could see your Star Knights but sadly my search skills were found wanting. Are they on it? I'd love to see them.

      Delete
    2. It isn't surprising you didn't find my Star Knights on my blog, Simon as I have yet to review them. So far, I've only reviewed the two werewolf mercenaries from this range. Sorry.

      I am definitely looking forward to seeing a batrep featuring your 15mm scale stuff.

      Delete
    3. Ah... Well that would explain it then Bryan :-) As an aside I did a 15mm BatRep last year using my current "The Ion Age" forces. It can be found here if interested: http://fantorical.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/15mm-battle-report-aliens-verses.html

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the link, Simon. I've left you a comment on the game over there.

      Delete
    5. Thanks Bryan. Much appreciated. Hopefully you liked it - it was one of my first ones as memory serves.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff, always interesting to see peoples take on 15mm. I have some on the IA bits lurking around for some loving at some point one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chico. I think their range is truly excellent and well worth spending time on :-)

      Delete
  3. Good God you're taking part in another Challenge. You're a glutton for punishment. Really, it does improve ones painting I find. I've not done much 15mm and I've loads of respect for people who can paint them well.

    PS. I've not gotten your email. Or, it could be lost amongst a bunch of spam. That email has been open a long time and the longer one is active, the more stuff you get and it's easy to miss the important stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, but this is a much more of a slow-time affair, which just gets me painting up and pushing along some of my long abandoned projects. The paint schemes I'm using make these 15mm rather simple to paint tbh. I haven't forgotten you, I've just been waiting for a reply from Curt which I've now got to clarify a few things, so I'll send you an email today.

      Delete
  4. Seven 15mm figures in a fortnight? That doesn't sound too difficult, I think :-) !

    I do like the vehicles; they're infinitely better than the official GW ones in 28mm. In my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not C6, though I'll probably only do 3-5 foot and paint up a couple of vehicles to make up the difference. "The Ion Age" do some cracking minis and I really do rate their service too. Wonderful stuff.

      Delete