Wednesday 1 October 2014

"Raccoon? What's a Raccoon?"

This 28mm “Heroclix” model of Rocket Raccoon took far longer than I anticipated to paint, predominantly because of the figure’s diminutive size and some quite thick pre-painting. In addition it took quite a bit of research on the internet in order to find a colour scheme for the Guardian’s face and whiskers which I thought would actually work on the tiny miniature.
 
Taken from the Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy Movie Starter Set by “Wizkids” I painted Rocket’s spacesuit “Citadel” Calthan Brown and then treated it to a wash of Devlan Mud. The sculpting on the back of the model was sharp enough to pick out some of the leather strappings with an old pot of the Foundation colour Tausept Ochre. This too was then washed with Devlan Mud. The large laser rifle was simply undercoated Abaddon Black before it was painted with Boltgun Metal. This weapon was then treated to a Badab Black wash. Finally all the Raccoon’s fur was painted with “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey before also receiving a fairly liberal dousing with “Citadel” Badab Black.
I have five of these Thug models from the Marvel Infinity Challenge set to paint as part of one of my final Painting Challenges, and I’m slowly ploughing through them so I have some unarmed ‘Eavies for the “7TV” rule set by “Crooked Dice Game Design Studio”. Disturbingly I’ve actually painted this figure having followed the colour scheme from an earlier posting in February 2014; when I painted an identical model. However the grey shirt of my current miniature has come out significantly lighter than its predecessor…

2 comments:

  1. Now that is one excellent racoon! I really love the way his face has turned out, great detail work there sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most kind. He was a real pain to paint but I got there in the end. I did think about leaving the eyes black, But when my missus saw it she asked me when I was going to finish painting him so I realised he needed pupils of some sort. I went with red as that's the colour used for him in his current "Marvel" comic book

    ReplyDelete