Monday 27 October 2014

"No, I'm Coming Back."

This 28mm metal model is one of the two miniatures found within packet Future Freedom Fighters 1 by "Crooked Dice Game Design Studio". The retro space liberator is the first of the "Blake's Seven" figures I plan to use for a series of "7TV" games which should hopefully re-enact some of my favourite episodes from the British science fiction television show, starting with the opening story "The Way Back".

To begin with the model was undercoated with "Citadel" Abaddon Black before I applied a coat of "Vallejo" Heavy Bluegrey to the figure's trousers. I then washed this area with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. The belt and pouch were picked out using "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and was washed with "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. I painted the Freedom Fighter's jumper with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy green and "Citadel" Thrakka Green before applying several thinned coats of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand" to his shirt.
Originally I then washed the sleeves and collar with more "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade but the shade came out too thickly for my liking and darkened the 'yellow' shirt much too much. As a result I repainted the sleeves, and tidied up the garment's collar with another coat of "Vallejo" Iraqi Sand and then washed all the areas with some watered down "The Army painter" Strong Tine quickshade. The teleportation bracelet was incredibly fiddly with all its buttons so I simply painted it with "Citadel" Boltgun metal, washed it with Nuln Oil and then, as they're supposed to be a tan-copper colour, washed it was Agrax Earthshade. I painted the barrel of the Liberator's hand blaster "Vallejo" White before washing it with "Citadel" Nuln Oil. I then drybrushed the weapon to lighten it up and bring out the detail. Finally, I was tempted to just paint the model's hair black, but as I wanted him to be Roj Blake, I dug out an old pot of "Citadel" Dark Flesh and applied a coat of that to this head, along with a liberal wash of Devlan Mud.
As my final miniature for Zomtober 2014 I plan to complete painting this model of Judge Death by "Mongoose Publishing". It's taking some doing as I am finding some of the details to the sculpt to be of a similar standard to the Judges I've previously painted; that is instead of a clean cast some of the figure's edges appear to have been torn away creating a rip-like effect to some parts of the miniature. Nonetheless I've finished painting and inking the Deadworld judge's kneepads and belt, layered his first coat of 'ivory' upon his shoulder pads and elbow pads and finished his belt buckle. I've also picked out his judge's badge and the poor stitching to the top of his uniform. 

16 comments:

  1. I can remember Blake's Seven with mixed emotions. When I first watched it I loved it. Much later, when I watched repeats of it I soon realised how wrong I was. It was appallingly bad! Ah well, that's hindsight for you. Even so, you've captured the look of Blake well. Judge Death is coming along very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vampifan. I never got into B7 until the third season myself, so never really knew Blake himself until it was well and truly over on TV and they released an abridged video of the first few stories. Been in love with the series since then. Slowly progressing Judge Death but I have a few other models distracting me at present. Hopefully he'll be done by the weekend.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on Blake dude!
    Judge Death is coming along nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. He's been sat waiting in the wings for a while thanks to Zomtober but got him finished in the end. hopefully Judge Death won't take so long.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on them both. Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Much appreciated, and thanks for Zomtober :-)

      Delete
  4. I have fond memories of Blake's 7 as a child and have often looked at these miniatures with a certain rose tinted longing. You've certainly done a great job on him, bravo Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, many thanks indeed. Took a bit longer on him than usual because I wanted him to look a bit better than my normal tabletop standard - hence the repaint on the sleeves etc.

      Delete
  5. I never watched "Blakes 7" myself, though I'm well enough aware of the series.

    That's a very nicely-painted model. I particularly like the face: very rugged and determined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Colgar6. To be fair Blake was a grim character at the best of times and I think the model is spot on, even down to the extra bit of girth he carried :-)

      Delete
  6. Loved Blakes 7 when I was a kid. Avon was my favorite. Judge death is coming along nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. I'm just basing Avon up as he was the fourth character to appear, just got Jenna and Vila to finish first. Really looking forward to getting some games in with these once I've a few more painted. Slowly getting there with Judge Death.

      Delete
  7. That is one stonking looking Blake figure Simon (yes I'm back on line, but who knows for how long!!), really good detail on the face, it actually looks like Roj Blake, hope you do as good a job on the others. Judge Death looks to be coming along nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roger. Wondered where you'd gone to :-) I fear that its the model which makes this look like Gareth Thomas not my painting, but its good of you to say so. Momentarily benched Judge Death, just so I can finish another figure for tomorrow's posting, but should be back painting him tonight.

      Delete
  8. OMG I LOVE the Blake`s Seven hero.... it even LOOKS just like Blake. I adore that old sci-fi series and still watch it all the way through on DVD at least once a year. Excellent blog, with a real atmospheric feel to it. Thank you for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Steve, thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Hopefully I'll get through all the main characters by the end of the year, and post up some Batreps too. The minis by "Crooked Dice" are great fun to paint and highly recommended. looking forward to getting a few of their Fed Troopers done - as they're mainly black :-)

      Delete