Friday 17 October 2014

"Born on a Monday..."

This large-sized 28mm “Wizkids” model of Solomon Grundy is my second submission for Zomtober 2014. The pre-painted plastic miniature is number 73 from the “Heroclix” DC Hypertime range.
 
After initially undercoating the model with “Citadel” Abaddon Black, I applied a few layers of “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey to the figure’s shins, hands and face. I then simply washed these areas of undead skin with the “Citadel” Shade Nuln Oil. I painted the model’s footwear with “Vallejo” Heavy Sienna. Because I wanted to make the large wooden tree branch stand apart from the zombie’s big shoes, I gave that a coat of an old OOP pot of “Citadel” Dark Flesh. Both areas were then washed with Agrax Eartshade. I then simply dry-brushed more Dark Flesh over the club.
BATMAN AND ROBIN LEAP FROM THE BATMOBILE TO FACE THE ZOMBIE, SOLOMON GRUNDY
Solomon’s hair and shirt were originally just painted with “Vallejo” White and washed with “Citadel” Nuln Oil. But as the two areas bordered one another so closely, especially at the back of the model, I decided to apply a “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade wash to the shirt, and dry-brush more “Vallejo” White across his hair.
These two “Mongoose Publishing” models of Judge Death will be my fourth (and fifth) submissions for Zomtober 2014. I wasn’t planning on painting any more miniatures from the Judge Dredd Miniatures Game range after all the ‘fun’ I’ve had this year with some of their Judge sculpts. But as I want my models for this splendid Undead painting event to be zombie characters rather than run-of-the-mill brain-eaters, the Deadworld Judge fits the bill admirably.

12 comments:

  1. Solomon Grundy is a big brute, isn't he? He towers over Batman and Robin. I do like him. Good choice on picking Judge Death. I look forward to seeing him finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vampifan. I sometimes don't think you appreciate the scale of some of the "Heroclix" models until you do some sort of comparison shot. Grundy is a big beastie. I'm a bit sceptical about painting Judge Death because of the issues I've had with Mongoose sculpts before but he does look a very nice model. Not too sure about his spirit form but that should be quite straight forward to paint :-)

      Delete
  2. He's a big brute! Nice job dude!
    Looking forward to seeing Judge Death painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. Much appreciated. Hopefully be able to have a WIP of Judge Death when I post up my finished Living Mummy.

      Delete
  3. Nice job mate. He looks great! Looking forward to see JD finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Simon. I don't think the pictures do him justice but he's certainly now better-looking than the ghastly pre-paint :-)

      Delete
  4. That Judge Death is a great sculpt!

    Great work on Solomon, is he really that big vs Batman in the comics? (Not normally a DC fan)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks indeed. The Solomon model is just about right when it comes to scale with Batman etc. The story goes that when he was murdered he fell into a swamp, and gained his bulk by absorbing part of it.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the Judge Death painted, it'll give me a.boot to get mine done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the best things about these blogs. You see what other people are painting and thin 'I've got one of them somewhere' and the next thing is you're painting it :-) Let me know when you start and we can compare notes - I'm not a fan of Mongoose's mini range but this one looks okay.

      Delete
  6. Nice job - batman & robin are up against it I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solomon's a big beastie indeed. Hopefully we can get him on the tabletop soon and get a Batrep or two out of him. Thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated.

      Delete