Tuesday 29 April 2014

"Too Slow Lawbreaker!"

Having recently painted a handful of Street Judge models from the "Judge Dredd Miniatures Game" by "Mongoose Publishing", I was looking forward to painting the man himself, Judge Joseph Dredd. Unfortunately I've not had the best of times with model MGP10153 Judge Dredd 1, and whilst much of this frustration is doubtless down to my skills with a brush (or rather lack of), the sculpting on the model itself has also contributed to my dwindling enthusiasm for the project.

As with the other far-future lawmen I've painted I used "Coat D'Arms" Black for Dredd's uniform, and then Vallejo" Heavy Green with a "Citadel" Thrakka Green wash for his knee pads, boots, gloves, belt and elbow pads. His belt buckle, shoulder pad, badge and chain, and shoulder eagle were painted using "Vallejo" Gold and "Citadel" Devlan Mud.

A simple enough colour scheme which annoyingly took several applications on certain parts of the model. Such as the somewhat crushed 'iron fist of Mega-City One' where I really struggled to find where the glove finished and the elbow pad started, and Dredd's red helmet trim, which seemed to simply disappear once it got round the back of his head. I even had to paint on the downward stripes on the helmet's gold badge as there appeared to be no raised detail on that particular area. 

This has all lead to me rather disliking this figure, and as a result, for now at least, he's simply going to be one of my nameless Street Judge extras. Luckily I'm also painting the alternative "Mongoose Publishing" Judge Dredd sculpt (Code MGP10155), so, hopefully having given that model a better paintjob, I'll still be able to field the law's number one judge, jury and executioner as a wildcard (for "Savage Worlds").

Ultimately I can always use this model as the Chief Judge Fargo clone Judge Rico, who graduated from the Academy of Law in 2122 having actually been assessed by Joe Dredd himself; and that way I can field two Judge Dredds.
 
Having spent so long to finish this legendary senior Street Judge (and he was already half-painted at the start of the week) I've continued to 'potter' away at some more of my "Heroclix" plastic miniatures by "Wizkids", with a view to quickly finishing off three of these figures over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment